54 African adventure tour!!! VISA and ACCOMODATION QUESTIONS

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

54 African adventure tour!!! VISA and ACCOMODATION QUESTIONS

Postby lolo2012 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:55 am

HI I am a female travel not much of a camper but heading on the 54 day African adventure trip in December.
I was wondering if anyone had been in that period and would advise a suitable sleeping bag for that period. I have heard it gets hot over there and hotter when you get to zambia and Nambia but a little colder in Kenya?

Secondly is the accomodation very basic and unclean at times? Are they generally ok campsites with decent facilities?When travelling long days do you stop off at garages , are these facilities a little more basic.

Lastly I am British can I get all the visas on the border I am a little worried as there is little time before I leave. I have checked online but some embassies are not clear.
I think the countries that i need are :
uganda
kenya
zambia
zimbawae
Tanzania

Thanks for any comments or advice ta..Lolo
lolo2012
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 54 African adventure tour!!! VISA and ACCOMODATION QUEST

Postby hannahxo- » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey there! was just reading your post!
i am going on the 54 day Africa trip! end of december!
when are you going?

i will be just taking a normal sleeping bag but wear lots of clothes, cause it can get cold at night i think! not entirely sure though!

i'm still looking on visas, but i think theres only one you can get on the border, the rest you gotta get in the UK!

sorry im not much use, but its good to hear that someone will be going on the same trip, whether its the same time as me!
hannah
hannahxo-

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:15 pm

I did 29 days (going from Nairobi to Johannesburg) rather than 54 and was there in June not December but can offer a few words of advice. First of all, don't pack too many clothes -- take stuff you can layer. It can get cool in the mountains of Tanzania and up on Ngorongoro Crater but I expect most times you'll be pretty warm. You're not there to be fashion plates so 4, maybe 5, changes of clothing are about all you need -- especially if you are able to mix the pieces around.

My sleeping bag was rated to about -7 C. It was nice and warm on Ngorongoro and in Iringa but overkill for most of the trip. I frequently slept with it zipped open or just on top of it. I would take a bag rated to about 0 - 5 C and maybe a silk or microfiber sleeping bag liner. You might be able to get away with a bag rated to 10 C but that will probably be a little cool at Ngorongoro.

All the campsites used from Nairobi to Jo'burg were quite clean with decent facilities. The one exception to this was in the Serengeti; for obvious reasons, that one didn't have running water or electricity. Don't worry about not being a camper -- I think I was the only regular camper on my trip and we had half a dozen who were "non-campers" and they all did fine.

On long road days, we usually stopped off at garages or rest stops but there were a few "bush stops". Frankly, the bush stops were more pleasant than a lot of the rest stops or garages, particularly in Tanzania where many of the toilets are "squatties". Hand cleaner and sanitizer will definitely be your friend on those legs.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby bexonthebeach » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

If travelling on a british passport, visas for all of the countried you mentioned above can be obtained on arrival. just make sure u have plenty of blank pages in your passport, and that it is valid for 6 months beyond your trip and you should be fine. There will be other ppl on your trip getting visas on arrival, so there is no real advantage getting them beforehand as you'll still have to wait for the others. Just make sure u have plenty of US dollars which u can use to buy them - clean, new ones printed after 2003. and in small enough denomination in case they dont have change.

as for everything else, I agree with ExmplorerWannaBe!
bexonthebeach
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm

I travelled on a Canadian passport but Brits were on my tour... I can't speak for Zimbabwe, but nobody on my tour had any problems getting visas at borders. I went to Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia.

I was there at a different time of year but a 3-season sleeping bag is what I'd recommend. If you think you'll be hot, throw in a sleep sheet which you can use instead. Cotton is cheaper but silk packs up very small and takes up very little space in your bag.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby georginal » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 pm

I did the 40 day version 2 years ago departing Cape Town in December, so I can't speak for Uganda, but everywhere else was fine, with Visa's available on entry with a UK passport. Sleeping bag wise my 3 season one was far too hot, with the exception of the Serengeti. Bathroom wise, people were happy most of the time, expect basic and you'll be fine. Campsite bathrooms themselves were cleaner than expected.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East