Amsterdam & Kilimanjaro airports

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Amsterdam & Kilimanjaro airports

Postby jmayoff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm thinking way ahead here for a climb of Kili in March 2013. I've searched thru the forums here and online in general, and have found very little, soooo......

Question #1 - I'll be flying from Austin Texas to JFK (New York) to Amsterdam to JRO. I've heard stories about luggage getting lost at the Amsterdam airport and getting to JRO after the start of someone's trek. But everything I've heard has been vague generalities - a friend of a friend of mine-kind-of-stories. Does anyone have specific knowledge of such incidents?

Question #2 - Theft at JRO itself has also become a concern, so now I'm trying to figure out what to pack in checked baggage vs carry-on, what to wear, etc. Definitely wearing my boots, jacket(s) and taking my sleeping bag on board (I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm getting a reallly warm bag). Again, I've only been able to dig up general anecdotes about theft at the airport. I know to take basic precautions - don't flaunt stuff, don't attract attention, etc. Does anyone have knowledge of any specific incidents at JRO?

Muchas gracias,
Jeff in Texas
jmayoff
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Amsterdam & Kilimanjaro airports

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

I haven't heard stories about luggage being lost at Amsterdam or anything more than anecdotes about JRO. I had no problems with my luggage going through Amsterdam in either direction. However, be aware Schipol is quite different from most major airports I've ever gone through. You will need to visit a kiosk to find out where your connecting flight is -- they are small terminals which are easy to miss, a little over waist-height if I remember correctly.

Taking your sleeping bag in your carry-on is a bit extreme. Instead, you might want to use one of those services that wraps your luggage in giant plastic wrap. That should virtually eliminate any concerns about theft at the airports.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jmayoff » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of such a service before - can you share the name(s) of any of these wrapping services? I'd like to look into that...
jmayoff

Postby jmayoff » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 am

Never mind - a quick search on Google turned up a lot of info. Thanks again.
jmayoff

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:38 am

No problems at Schipol (many flights there) or JRO. We packed our sleeping bags in compression sacks and brought them attached to our backpacks as carry-on for our safari. Checked bags were not forwarded from Charles de Gaul airport in Paris, though, on our trip to East Africa. We made sure to arrive a day early so our luggage had time to arrive if lost. Our G Adventures taxi guy took us back to the airport the next night to personally retrieve our luggage which arrived on the next flight. Otherwise when it arrived it would have had to be sent on to our safari location at our cost. A fellow traveler had to fly through South Africa and said his Kili gear was all taken at the airport in Johannesburg.
Best advice, make sure you have a credit card in your carry-on to replace what walks away! These are really first-world problems. :lol:
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby jasonatl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:02 pm

I didn't have any problems at JRO and didn't hear of anyone else having a problem either. If you're really concerned, you may want to separate your carry-on and checked baggage not just by value but also by what can easily be replaced in Moshi/Arusha. You can rent a sleeping bag there if yours disappears. Same with hiking poles and a polar jacket. Thermal underwear on the other hand will be hard to find locally.

Best wishes for your trip. Making it to the summit is a great reward, even if you're likely to be a bit out of your mind when you get there. :)
jasonatl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jenjen83 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 am

I always fly though AMS and have never had any luggage problems. It's one of my favourite airports to change at; lots to do and great facilities.
jenjen83

Return to Africa and Middle East