Help,does anyone know..?Zambia,Zimbabwe & South-Africa

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Help,does anyone know..?Zambia,Zimbabwe & South-Africa

Postby martinebelg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:36 am

I will go on the Zambia volunteer & safari tour the 14' of october and have some questions.
-Do I need a double or multiple entry visa for Zambia & Zimbabwe if I want to visit or do some activities at both sides of the Falls? (I arrive a day early in Livingstone and we also have a free day there between the volunteer part and the start of the safari.) Does it take a long time and a lot of hassles to get the visa at the Livingstone airport and the border post in Zimbawe? (As a Belgian I can obtain a visa in Belgium or in Zambia and Zimbabwe)
-Will a light sleeping bag do in october in these countries or do I have to bring my warm one? What is the temperature at night and in the evenings and mornings?
-Any tips for the volunteer part? What do they really need the most? The list in the trip details is to long for my small bag!
-What's the best currency to bring to Zambia, Zimbabwe and South-Africa? Which currency is the easiest to use there? Do you recommend getting it in Belgium or locally? (in the bank or at the ATM)

Thanks a lot!
Martine
martinebelg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Help,does anyone know..?Zambia,Zimbabwe & South-Africa

Postby meeting_eiffel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm not sure about the rest, but when I was in Zambia we were advised to bring US bills no larger than $50 to exchange into Zambian kwacha.
Enjoy Vic Falls! It's wonderful!
meeting_eiffel
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby espenlok » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:10 am

martinebelg wrote:I will go on the Zambia volunteer & safari tour the 14' of october and have some questions.
-Do I need a double or multiple entry visa for Zambia & Zimbabwe if I want to visit or do some activities at both sides of the Falls? (I arrive a day early in Livingstone and we also have a free day there between the volunteer part and the start of the safari.)

Yes, if you want to cross over to Zim and then back to Zam, your best option is probably to ask for a double entry. If you will stay in Zam for just a few days before your trip to Zim, you may ask for the rules for the Zambian transit visa, and then buy a new visa when going back to Zam from Zim. Maybe you can save a few dollars that way.

martinebelg wrote:Does it take a long time and a lot of hassles to get the visa at the Livingstone airport and the border post in Zimbawe? (As a Belgian I can obtain a visa in Belgium or in Zambia and Zimbabwe)

No, the procedure for getting a visa at the border in LVI airport is extremely hassle free. Maybe it took a minute more for me in the queue than for the people without visas. For the border from Zim to Zam I already had my visa when I crossed, but I can't see any reason it should be a problem to buy a visa there. Just remember to bring new dollar bills.

martinebelg wrote:-Will a light sleeping bag do in october in these countries or do I have to bring my warm one? What is the temperature at night and in the evenings and mornings?

I was there in July, so I don't know about the temperatures in October. In July, a light sleeping bag definetly can not be recommended, though. Most of my fellow travellers froze quite a lot.

martinebelg wrote:-Any tips for the volunteer part? What do they really need the most? The list in the trip details is to long for my small bag!
-What's the best currency to bring to Zambia, Zimbabwe and South-Africa? Which currency is the easiest to use there? Do you recommend getting it in Belgium or locally? (in the bank or at the ATM)

Lots of ATMs in Livingstone, including one or two in the airport. Also other towns around in the country had a decent selection of ATMs. I genereally don't see any reason to bring cash from home, except for paying the visas (if you don't stay far from every decent sized town). If you do bring cash, USD is your best bet. However, only new bills!
espenlok
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby martinebelg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm

As my departure is approaching fast, I succeed in putting things togheter. Thanks a lot for the helfull replies! Since its my first time on such a trip al tips are still welcome.
martinebelg

Return to Africa and Middle East