Is one week enough for a safari?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Is one week enough for a safari?

Postby karbearkaren » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Looking at doing a 7 day safari in tanzania followed with a few nights in zanibar but was wondering if one week is enough for a safari as 2 days of the tour are just arrival and departure and therefore really only 5 half-ish days for game viewing (when you incorporate travel time). G adventures doesn't have any tours in the 10 day range. Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I''m looking to go in Jan-Feb 2013.
karbearkaren
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Is one week enough for a safari?

Postby tletter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

karbearkaren wrote:tIs one week enough for a safari? ... therefore really only 5 half-ish days for game viewing (when you incorporate travel time).

It certainly is enough time if you are actually out looking for animals for "5 half-ish days". You can see a lot in that time if you are in the right area at the time of year that you visit.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Didn't do G Adventures safari, but did an independent safari in Kruger that was 3+ days -- we saw plenty in that time. Saw the Big 5 (even a rare and magnificent leopard) and a LOT more, so having 5 ish days should satisfy your wildlife sighting.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ballu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I had 2-3 days and I felt that was enough for me. By the end we weren't even stopping for giraffes, elephants and zebras anymore. It is an amazing experience though...and Zanzibar is beautiful.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby btomlin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I think I could just go on safari everyday and not be bored...but five days should be lots! I loved Tanzania, I felt that the safari and Zanzibar combination make it a perfect destination. Have fun!
btomlin
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Africa and Middle East