Disappointed at many tours becoming yolo

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Disappointed at many tours becoming yolo

Postby juno427 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I have to admit I am annoyed with this as well. I have booked the DAJN trip from Johannesburg to Nairobi starting Dec 27th. When I booked it the trip was the standard overland camping trip. Now they have made some changes to the trip and the second half that starts in January from Livingstone on has been reclassified as a yolo trip. Had I known this when I booked I probably would have selected another trip. Now I am stuck with a non-refundable flight and I just have to hope that the tour doesn't turn into a contiki style drunk tour. While I am in the age range for yolo trips my best experiences with previous gap trips have always been the diversity in ages and experiences.
juno427
User Rank: Weekender

Postby BraidsL » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:47 am

On my recent G Adventures Ethiopian Discovery tour, we ranged in age from 29 to 72. I thought we got along wonderfully. Just my opinion, based on some experience in traveling with a wide array of ages together.
BraidsL

Postby cnote23 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm 28 and therefore on the upper spectrum for the yolo tours. I would much rather be on a trip with a wider age group, because I don't travel to get drunk around the world. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy having drinks, but it feels like a waste of time to be hungover when you can do that at home.

I'm going on the Victoria Falls to Nairobi trip on October 29th, and I'm not sure if it was yolo when I booked. I'm going to be positive and hope that I share a tent with someone who sleeps!
cnote23
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby clairew85 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Cnote23 they become yolo from jan 2013. fingers crossed for you but there are normally a couple of spare tents if needed.
clairew85
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby georginal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I did the Cape Town to Nairobi trip getting on for 2 years ago now and just taken a quick glance at the tour now. Sure enough, its gone Yolo. I myself am lucky enough to just fit into that age range, but would hesitate to book it now. Many of the people I was with on that trip would not be able to go on it now and I enjoyed being with people of a wider age range. I have actually just booked myself into Explore! for a forthcoming trip, which should have a diverse group of people. Travelling is not about partying, you can do that anywhere, and its obviously quite irresponsible. Travelling is about the people you meet and the places you see along the way. Some of us older ones like a good sociable drink as well, but know when to stop.

Those that have booked and subsequently found the trip has changed substantially might find it worth their while querying it with G.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby shelchan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 pm

If you want to party and travel cheap, move along to Couchsurfing. You get a place to stay and a tour guide who, if you like partying, probably does too and you can drink and drink to your heart's content. I'm in Couchsurfing as well, so believe me, I know the variety of people and are friends with some heavy partiers even if I'm not that type of surfer myself. For gAdventures to encourage drunken nights, however, shows how short-sighted they are. Not everyone under 39 wants to get wasted every night. Some of us want to remember our trips. Some of us enjoy talking to people older than us. Some of us don't like our drunken peers screaming at 3am. It is possible to have fun and remember it as is evident by everyone who has posted here.

I'm just over the average age and I would NEVER book a Yolo trip. For one, I hate the word "Yolo". It's a dated fad word around my area that is used by drunks at bars to show how "cool" you are. Just not my thing. Secondly, I enjoy a variety of people on my tours. I do like a few people my age, but I also enjoy the older crowd as well. The way I see it, if a 60 year old is hiking up a mountain next to me, I'm thinking "I hope I'm that awesome in 30+ years!" They are really missing the mark and I imagine a lot of younger people will no longer book here either, which is sad because they have a nice way of connecting people it seems.
shelchan
User Rank: Traveller

Postby rrjz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Hey - I was also very disappointed to find out about these age restrictions. However they have been lifted. Any age can join these groups, although they be more geared towards the 20 somethings. That is fine for me, if I don't want to do an activity I won't. I can assume there will be 20 somethings that will also choose not to do an activity that has been geared towards them.
I have a post in another forum (New Trips For 2013) if you want to see the reply email I received from Mel @ G Adventures it is there. Of course she might not be telling the truth but I see no reason for a rep to not tell the truth. I believe her and her response. Might be my mistake but it has put me at ease knowing I will still be able to travel with G Adventures. Although they have not changed the description on the website yet, I hope they do that soon.
I am now looking forward to the trip I wanted to take next fall again. :)
Hope you find this info somewhat helpful.
rrjz

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:39 am

I am the opposite..... I recently did a camping trip in North America where the age group was 20-35 + 2 people between aged 55-65.

Whether it was their personalities or their age I am not too sure, but the people either didn't read the trip itinerary properly (participation camping) or just couldn't be bothered and for some reason thought they were exempt from helping out with campsite duties (setting up, dishes, packing the trailer etc) - whether this because they were just lazy people or because they though that they were 'old' therefore the 'younger ones' should do all the duties and let them sit back. Everyone else was always very quick to pitch in and help out with everything. They also complained constantly about the standards of the facilities we'd stayed in, the food, and the amount of walking/hiking each day (all of which had been outlined very clearly in the trip notes and was of the standard that we expected). They were very rude to the group (from the very first meeting - it was clear that one of them didn't want to be travelling in a group), refused to talk to the younger people apart from making sexual remarks towards a couple of the girls and then complaining to one of the other campers about the entire trip. They were also very insistent that we made stops that they specifically wanted (was fine with that), but would then protest about stops that other campers requested.

Whilst I am sure that not all people of older age are like this and whether or not it was their personalities shining through, this experience personally has turned me off travelling with older people.
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad

Postby shelchan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 am

That sounds like you got stuck with a couple of entitled creepers. Believe me, young people can - and have - acted the same way on many a trip. I've heard some horror stories about young people on tour groups from friends (not through gAdventures, but same concept). I did a tour in high school where one person on our tour decided she didn't like me, locked me out of the hotel room, and then invited a stranger to come up and have a grand old time with her. The director and hotel staff wound up putting me in a different room for the night because she was absolutely crazy. You just never know who you'll wind up with regardless of age, but that doesn't mean that someone older cannot read about the tour and enjoy it. Some people are very active and stay active well into their years, and if they want to come along and join in the fun, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to.

Glad to hear that supposedly they're removing the age restrictions even if that awful Yolo name stays. Victory! :)
shelchan

Postby zebracruiser » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Kcupp, I'm sorry for your negative experience but I certainly hope you do not believe that such behavior is because someone is "older" and therefore all "older" people would behave similarly! As mentioned by the next poster, it is unfortunately possible to end up with unpleasant travellers regardless of their age. I think it is less likely to have such experiences with G as most on such trips are looking for more rugged local and adventurous experiences. Amazing that the age limits have been lifted if true!
zebracruiser

Postby markmol » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Kcupp, i am with the last 2 posts, it is unfortunate that you were on a trip with 2 older people with the wrong attitude. I did an overland trip in Africa last year & there were 2 girls in their early 20's that we had to wait for every morning, they kept on complaining about the early morning starts & didn't want to do their jobs when we got to camp. When we did our trek to the gorrilas they were the ones lagging behind & complaing about how hard it was & they would not have gone on this part of the trip if they had been told how hard it could be. I have picked up a lot of travel trips off both young & older people & quite enjoy the mix you find on G trips. Maybe G may consider sticking with the YOLO trips on certian dates but still have their overland trip open to older people, so younger people have the option to go on either type of trip.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:20 am

markmol wrote:Hi Kcupp, i am with the last 2 posts, it is unfortunate that you were on a trip with 2 older people with the wrong attitude. I did an overland trip in Africa last year & there were 2 girls in their early 20's that we had to wait for every morning, they kept on complaining about the early morning starts & didn't want to do their jobs when we got to camp. When we did our trek to the gorrilas they were the ones lagging behind & complaing about how hard it was & they would not have gone on this part of the trip if they had been told how hard it could be. I have picked up a lot of travel trips off both young & older people & quite enjoy the mix you find on G trips. Maybe G may consider sticking with the YOLO trips on certian dates but still have their overland trip open to older people, so younger people have the option to go on either type of trip.

Don't worry guys, I'm very much aware that it was primarily a personality thing and could come from any age group, however the attitude given off by these two people was that of "I'm 60, therefore I don't have to help out, the 20-somethings should respect my age and do all the work".
All for respecting older people and the knowledge they have to offer, but we've all paid the same amount for the trip and we've all known it's participation camping.

Probably what didn't help was the giant age gap as well - we had 9 people + the CEO between the ages of 20-early 30's and then these two people in their late 50's/60's. Perhaps if we'd had some people in their late 30's, 40's, early 50's as well the difference might not have been noticed as much.

I agree with the idea that G should offer the same itinerary as age-restricted (YOLO is such a terrible saying) and open to all. Whilst some have you been put off by the company due to this change, there would probably be others like me who have either had a bad experience or want to travel with a similar age group....

It's a shame that you can't find out a little bit of information about the people already booked (i.e gender ratio, age-group ratio) before you book....
kcupp95

Postby tletter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:33 am

kcupp95 wrote:It's a shame that you can't find out a little bit of information about the people already booked (i.e gender ratio, age-group ratio) before you book....

If every person filled out a profile like on a dating site and then G could provide a compatibility scores before one books. Of course one would need to ability to cancel their booking if people with low compatibility scores signed up after they did so potential travellers would want to hold off booking their flights until the last minute :)
___________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby tletter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 am

kcupp95 wrote:It's a shame that you can't find out a little bit of information about the people already booked (i.e gender ratio, age-group ratio) before you book....

If every person filled out a profile like on a dating site and then G could provide a compatibility scores before one books. Of course one would need to ability to cancel their booking if people with low compatibility scores signed up after they did so potential travellers would want to hold off booking their flights until the last minute :)
___________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/[/quote]
tletter

Postby rrjz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 pm

In the email I got back from Mel she told me that they can give you that information. I am one of the people that will just take my chances but there are others that might want to know.

Here is another part of the email I got back from her about this.

"It used to say they were 'for 18 to 30-somethings', but I'm really glad the restriction has been lifted too. The fact you know the format of the more basic overland trips, it sounds ideal for you. I guess as they are such good value trips, that is partly why the age range might be the younger age of the scale, but the groups will be mixed. I can always check the group dynamic - age, nationality - if you like, once you are settled on a departure date."

Hope this helps. :-)
Ryan
rrjz

PreviousNext

Return to Africa and Middle East