Disappointed at many tours becoming yolo

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Re: Disappointed at many tours becoming yolo

Postby georginal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm

wohoo, its been a while since I've caught up with this topic, so glad there's been a change of heart!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby earth2al » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:03 am

Booking a YOLO to Turkey. Yeah Buddy!!!

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Ah, great to hear! Dunes, Deltas and Falls definitely on the cards for 2014! :)
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86

Postby baga_azul » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am

I am also getting unconfortable with this Yolo thing. The tour I'm interested in is Yolo and participants should be 18-39 years old - so, if the limited has changed, the site was still not updated! I'm still not near my "expiration date" but my boyfriend is already "too old". I've travelled with GAP several times, and we had always 60+ people wo were great in the group. Can people 40+ join the Yolo tours? Are Yolo only meant for party teenagers? Should I change company? I don't understand the discrimination either.
baga_azul
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am

baga_azul wrote:I am also getting unconfortable with this Yolo thing. The tour I'm interested in is Yolo and participants should be 18-39 years old - so, if the limited has changed, the site was still not updated! I'm still not near my "expiration date" but my boyfriend is already "too old". I've travelled with GAP several times, and we had always 60+ people wo were great in the group. Can people 40+ join the Yolo tours? Are Yolo only meant for party teenagers? Should I change company? I don't understand the discrimination either.

G officially rescinded the age limits for YOLO. YOLO is now a marketing term to let people know these are more adventurous, basic tours. Many of us were relieved at the change and I am looking forward to camping with G again some TBD time in the future.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby baga_azul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:04 am

I just tried to book a Yolo tour and it didn't allow me to insert the correct birth-year of the oldest participant...
baga_azul

Postby sinecure » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 am

If you have any troubles booking, can you contact home base or the office nearest you to see what the issue is?
sinecure

Postby baga_azul » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am

I have booked with the wrong birth-year and sent an email with the correct information.
But if it was decided for several months that there isn't any age limit, it's about time to correct that in the site...
baga_azul

Postby mike_and_izzy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Actually just mailed them about this and was told that: "Our YOLO tours do have a strict age limit of 18-39. I would recommend taking a look at our classic style tours"
mike_and_izzy
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:15 pm

:x

So much for lifting the age limit.
:x
collywobbles

Postby 118@soton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:13 pm

I travelled on the active and the trekking tour in January and on both trips the age range was from mid 20s to over 60. On both trips the group always used the same restuarant for meals and although some of the group enjoyed the nightlife they only did this if there were no planned activities the next day Everyone was there to see the country and take part in the activities. At one of the hotels there was also a YOLO group , and as commented early the guide was having a hard time trying to keep the time schedules as most of the group were out drinking whenever possible until the early hours.
I like many of you was older than the parents of the youngest group members but had more stamina than most of the group as I was encouraged to play outside , climbing trees etc as a child growing up in the 60s.
As has been said many companies offer similar basic holidays usually under the name of shoestring. I do not want to share a holiday with a group of people who think the ideal holiday is sleeping during the day and drinking to exess every night.
118@soton

Postby chardonais » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:21 pm

I haven't done a trip with G for about 3-4 years now. This "yolo" business is one of a few reasons why not. I wont recommend G anymore either. Hate for someone to take my recommendation, get excited about the options available, just to be told that many aren't available to them because of some ridiculous reason.

chardonais

Postby brad.fraser » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:22 pm

118@soton wrote: I do not want to share a holiday with a group of people who think the ideal holiday is sleeping during the day and drinking to exess every night.

Pretty inaccurate generalisation right there from my experiences.
My 40 day "yolo" tour of Africa was not like that at all. We had maybe two big nights out on the town, but everyone was primarily there to enjoy Africa and not let an hour go to waste. A ton of nights we were all in bed by 9-10pm. I doubt it would've been any different had there not been a yolo age restriction on the tour, and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the age restriction, but just because there is one now doesn't instantly turn it into a wooooo party tour. If you don't book a Gadv trip solely because of that assumption, then you're missing out.
brad.fraser
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby chardonais » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Completely agree with you Brad. Just the type of trip that G and similar companies organize attracts a different demographic of travellers that are looking at doing and seeing more than a beach and a bar.
That is why I'm so frustrated with this yolo classification - I've found that I have more in common with the "non-yolo" crowds on these trips than I ever would with 20/30 somethings on a "Contiki" type tour (not that there's anything wrong with the Contiki tour :D) We just obviously have similar interests and travel "goals" and that is why we've chosen G or similar.

chardonais

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:57 pm

brad.fraser wrote:
118@soton wrote: I do not want to share a holiday with a group of people who think the ideal holiday is sleeping during the day and drinking to exess every night.

Pretty inaccurate generalisation right there from my experiences.
My 40 day "yolo" tour of Africa was not like that at all. We had maybe two big nights out on the town, but everyone was primarily there to enjoy Africa and not let an hour go to waste. A ton of nights we were all in bed by 9-10pm. I doubt it would've been any different had there not been a yolo age restriction on the tour, and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the age restriction, but just because there is one now doesn't instantly turn it into a wooooo party tour. If you don't book a Gadv trip solely because of that assumption, then you're missing out.

I agree with this. I did a similar trip camping trip in Canada. We would all have a few drinks with dinner and after dinner and then sit around the campfire chatting or playing games. Sunset wasn't til 10-11pm, so once the sun started to go down we'd head to bed. Everyone was always up by 7 and ready to go at the allocated time. A few nights were big nights, but even then no one was ever late in the morning. When your on the move everyday, there's no option to sleep all day.

I'm doing a "yolo" camping trip of the West coast national parks in a couple of months and expect it to be the same - I'm going for the national parks and the hiking but will also quite happily have a few with dinner and around the campfire again. Again I'm expecting a few big nights - Vegas, final night etc, but not every night and will be dissappointed if it is.

However I am also dissapointed of this attitude of "I am better because I am older and I was fitter/more experienced/didn't complain as much/wasn't homesick/had to mother the younger group members" that sometimes occurs in these debate threads. That doesn't make me want to travel with you any more, it makes me want to travel with you less.

I'd prefer if there was 2 options for itineraries - one with the age restriction and one without as I'm aware that for some interaries there is no alternative option.
kcupp95

Previous

Return to Africa and Middle East