Morocco - what to pack VS Egypt

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Morocco - what to pack VS Egypt

Postby emsta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 am

Hi All,

Im actually doing a G tour for Egypt but followed by this will be in Morocco in late May/ June and just wondering about suitable clothing to take? I hear with Egypt not to take anything too revealling and wondering how Morocco is in comparison?

Can I get away with any tank tops in Morocco or shorts or longer skirts? or will this still encourage unwanted stares?

Im also not exatly sure of the how warm Egypt will be in May and what weather will be like in Morocco in late May/ June. The books give me rough average temps but whats the humidity like at these times? (Im mostly used to SE Asia humidity on my trips)

cheers
Emma
emsta
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Morocco - what to pack VS Egypt

Postby Zuleika » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm

As both countries are predominately Muslim so you need conservative dress for both. I found even on the beach resorts in the evening (both countries) it was still best to be conservative also.
Both countries are very hot during the day and cooler at night partic in the deserty areas so a warm jumper/fleece is required. I dont remember there being much humiidiity in either country.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby georginal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59 pm

The only exception is Marrakech, where which is a slightly more Westernised than the rest of the country, so you can get away with shorts etc there.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Zuleika.
Last edited by georginal on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby emsta » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 pm

ok thanks guys!

So really longer skirts or longer shorts might be pushint it. For tops do I just need to ensure my shoulders are covered?

thanks for the tip about night time, will definatly take a warmer jumper for the evening.

thanks again
emsta

Postby georginal » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd take a mixture of your tank tops and short sleeve tops which go just below your shoulders. You will get away with the tank tops in your accommodation, on longer group travelling days (provided theres no temples etc) and in Marrakech. A lot on women buy a headscarf as a souvinir and keep it with them all the time to cover their shoulders up.

Enjoy your trip.
georginal

Return to Africa and Middle East