A few days alone in Cape Town (hotel info and other stuff)

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

A few days alone in Cape Town (hotel info and other stuff)

Postby smyry52 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello,

I'm doing a Southern Africa trip that I've already talked a bit about in another thread. Just booked my flight today and I'll have 2 full days before my trip starts in Cape Town.

Anyone have any good hotel suggestions or more importantly areas I should be looking at? Has anyone stayed at the Lady Hamilton that GAP uses? I've seen it online for $60 a night and would consider it if it's at all near anything.

As of my now my rough plan would be:
Day 1: Robben Island / Table Mountain
Day 2: Cape of Good Hope / Boulder Beach (i think, the one with the african penguins)

The only thing I'm 100% set on is Robben Island for one of the two days. Anyone have any suggestions? How about good ways to get to the Cape of Good Hope on my own without a car?

Anyone been to Cape Town in July? What are the odds I'll be able to get to Robben Island? It says weather permitting on everything...

Thanks
Last edited by smyry52 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smyry52
User Rank: Traveller

Re: A few days alone in Cape Town (hotel info and other stuff)

Postby kateyb » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:31 am

I stayed at the Africa BAckpack and Travel COmpany. Great place. They have a few tours too that are reasonably priced to get you to the Cape.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby smyry52 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 pm

kateyb wrote:I stayed at the Africa BAckpack and Travel COmpany. Great place. They have a few tours too that are reasonably priced to get you to the Cape.

Is that now just called The Backpack? http://www.backpackers.co.za/

Was it in an area where anything was near by?
smyry52

Postby georginal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 pm

I've not stayed at the hotel you mentioned, but its not too far away from the sights. $60 is a bit steep for Cape Town though, so i'd go to go of the hostels in the city. I've heard many good things about the African Backpack, I really enjoyed Long Street Backpackers as well. You can use this website to book as well http://www.hostelworld.com

Since its only 2 days you have there I'd book the Robben Island for the first morning. You do get a full refund if the ferry doesn't run and since it July and therefore a quieter time of year hopefully you'll be able to rebook a later ferry or for the next day. Weather wise I just couldn't say as I've not been in July.

Otherwise worth bearing in mind is that its only worth going up Table Mountain if you can see the top of it. It frequently is covered by cloud, (and potentially snow too in July) and the cloud comes over quickly and they stop the cable car running. You can get to the Cable Car base by taxi but find out what the going rate is from your Reception desk and don't let the taxi driver rip you off. Agree the price before you get in the car or use the mini bus taxis. Its over a year since I've been there so I'm not sure what the rate is now. Don't take more than what you have to on public transport. If you've got a good day on your first day, then both Robben Island and Table Mountain together are using your time wisely.

If you are successful in doing Robben Island first thing and can't see the top of Table Mountain when you get off the ferry then you could go out to Simonstown (for Boulders Beach, yes, it is the one with the Penguins) by train. Trains are safe during the day but try not to stick out too much like a tourist and blend in. Trains finish at about 6pmish, so plan your time carefully.

You can wait until you get there to book a tour for Cape of Good Hope, even book it the night before once you've got Robben Island done. If you have a Driving Licence with you then Car Hire is actually quite easily done in SA. if you're in a hostel you may even find someone else that wants to go and car share.

One other thing to consider is the Hop on hop off bus and do the Red Route which covers both V & A Waterfront (for Robben Island) and the Cable Car on Table Mountain, you'd just have to make sure it coincided with the ferry time and they can feel slow if you have specifics you want to cover.

I hope that helps and I haven't confused you too much!
georginal

Postby gaja » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello!

I would agree on the City Sightseeing (Hop-on Hop-off) bus tour as a good form of transportation to the inner-city sights. In my experience it is reasonably priced, takes you anywhere interesting within the city and the buses go quite frequently.
Table Mountain only without the "Tablecloth" to enjoy the view (magnificent on a clear day), Cape of Good Hope & Simonstown are good choices as well. If you take the train to Simonstown (make sure you get 1st class called "Metrorail Plus"), you might consider stops at Muizenberg and/or Kalk Bay if you have some time left. Those are nice coastal towns, Muizenberg has a very popular beach and Surfer's spot.
Enjoy your stay!
gaja
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja

Return to Africa and Middle East