Egypt - Felucca or Nile Cruise boat

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Egypt - Felucca or Nile Cruise boat

Postby worldtraveller » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Cruise boat or a felucca ?

for going down the nile?

From people who have done both, what aspect did you enjoy better?

Would the felucca not be recommended for a long journey of 2 or more nights?

What were the pros and cons to each of them. as having a hard time deciding.

thanks
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Egypt - Felucca or Nile Cruise boat

Postby tletter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 pm

worldtraveller wrote:Cruise boat or a felucca ?

I'd opt for the felucca as we found it very relaxing but obviously you don't have ready access to meals and toilet facilities as you would on the cruise boat even if there is a support boat.

worldtraveller wrote:Would the felucca not be recommended for a long journey of 2 or more nights?

This depends on what your goal is on your trip on the Nile. If it is to cover a long distance then opt for the cruise boat. On the other hand, if you want a relaxing experience on a vessel from a bygone era then the felucca is the choice.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

My Egyptian tour included both, a three hour felucca cruise as well as a four day, three night Nile cruise. The felucca was great for meandering, and we had a relaxing traditional Nubian dinner on the boat as well. It was not so comfortable though since there is no real sitting area and it is rude to show the bottom of your feet in a Muslim country so you have to angle away from other guests. The four day Nile cruise was wonderful since we had the luxury of the boat staterooms (less luxurious than a regular cruise though) but we stopped at various ancient sites along the way. I loved the views of the riverbank as we cruised during the day, and the places we stopped were amazing. The felucca doesn't have on-board bathrooms so you must transfer to the support ship for toilet facilities, the bigger cruise ship has personal bathrooms in your stateroom so it's more private. The sleeping arrangements on the felucca are communal, ie everyone sleeps on the deck. Depends on your preference. The Nile cruise ships are small, max of about 150 guests plus support staff as opposed to the massive 4000+ Mediterranean cruise ships so it's intimate really. Either way Egypt is a positively incredible place!
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:59 pm

I chose the felucca for many reasons and I loved every minute of it and glad I didnt pick the cruise boat.
We sailed for 4 days and 3 nights stopping at all the relevant ancient sights.
I hate being in large groups - so traipsing around on and off the boat with 150+ is my worst nightmare - we had 7 or 8 on our boat and that was fab.
Our crew were free to sail us where and when we want and stop whenever we wanted, and if we needed a bathroom break no problem we would just pull over.
At night we moored in the middle of nowhere on a quiet peaceful sandbank and often make a fire.
Food was delicious and prepared on board.
We had no support boat, so toilet was a tent on the bank at night (which was perfectly fine) and daily washing was swimming in the Nile - glorious.
It was totally fantastic sleeping out in the open under the stars.
The felucca was extremely comfortable with wall to wall mattresses for sleeping and then sunbathing during the day.
Lots of cold beer on board all day long (peeing while dipping in Nile at the back of the sailing boat optional hahahaha)
On our last day they slipped mooring and we awoke to drifting gently down the Nile just as the sun was coming up - a true trip to remember - and one with a difference.
I truly loved every minute of it!!!! If your adventurous and dont mind roughing it ever so slightly then this is for you, but if you need your home comforts then go for the cruise.
Last edited by Zuleika on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby desiree2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am

Hi
You might also consider the weather - it can get very cold at night during 'winter'.
Desiree
desiree2

Postby georginal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:41 pm

I did 3 nights in a Felucca in January one year. Loved it. I think it will boil down to whether you think you can stand the toilet facilities - or lack of for 3 days (or alternatively the ones in the sights when available.)

I didn't do it with G and I don't even recall having a toilet tent - it was just a case of finding a suitable bush - for 3 days. Forget showers, but then there's a river! Our group had 3 boats between us, sailed the same direction, and hooked up together for the Sightseeing, meals and mooring at night time.

As for the winter, a 3 season sleeping bag and a few layers did nicely. We also had 30 deg in the daytime so weather wise it was fab! (would you want any hotter in the summer??)

For me, floating down the Nile in a quiet boat with great people just made the trip.

Enjoy, whichever you decide!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby emsta » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 am

We are going to be doing this in may, do you think we will be ok if we dont bring sleeping bags? ( just trying to save some space in our packs. We will be on felucca for 2 nights I think, in tours do we take our backpacks on board? (not sure where else they would leave it but also not sure how big feluccas are to be honest)
Thanks
emsta
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby chriswg75 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I did the felucca journey on the Nile (I think it was only 2 nights max) in late May and the temps were perfect. Hot during the day but night was just right. I did not bring a sleeping bag as there were blankets on the boat and it was quit comfortable.
I didn't mind the lack of toilets or showers. The only negative aspect I remember is that there were a couple of felucca's that moored on the beach with us at night and they were singing and dancing till late (I know I sound like an old man, but I'm more a morning person).
chriswg75

Return to Africa and Middle East