Nairobi - join-in day trips to Hell's gate or other places

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Nairobi - join-in day trips to Hell's gate or other places

Postby espenlok » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:30 am

Hi guys!

I'm planning to do the overland camping safari trip from Vic Falls to Nairobi this summer. The tours ends up in Nairobi, but there aren't actually much time spent in Kenya in the tour (just crossing the border from Arusha). Therefore I am thinking to stay a few extra days in Nairobi, probably at Indaba camp.

Do you have experience on how easy it is to join a tour, for instance to Hell's gate NP from there? Can you easily find a relatively cheap join-in tour to this place, or is it necsessary to form your own group if you want to go there? Can it be organized on the spot (like the day before), or is it necessary to organize this early?

What about the sights closer to the camp, i.e. Karen Blixen home, giraffe center, Nairobi NP? Do people just go there by themselves (with taxi or sth) or is it easy to join tours that go to these places?

And do any of you have experience if there are many people from the G adv group that choose to stay a few days extra in Nairobi after an overland trip?

Best regards,
Espen
espenlok
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Nairobi - join-in day trips to Hell's gate or other places

Postby markmol » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 am

hi Espen
the giraffe centre is about 29 minutes from the camp in a taxi, the G rep can arrange this for you, the Nairobi NP is a lot closer, you can here the lions roar from the campsite.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I did the trip in the reverse direction 3 years ago. Nairobi lodging then was at Hotel Boulevard which is a gated hotel in central Nairobi. There are flyers in the hotel lobby for guided tours but we got a group of 7 of us interested in a day's touring and hired a driver from the hotel to take us around after breakfast.

You should definitely see the Giraffe Center and Sheldrick Animal Orphanage. You can also fit in the Karen Blixen house, doing all three in a single day.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:15 pm

espenlok wrote:Hi guys!

I'm planning to do the overland camping safari trip from Vic Falls to Nairobi this summer. The tours ends up in Nairobi, but there aren't actually much time spent in Kenya in the tour (just crossing the border from Arusha). Therefore I am thinking to stay a few extra days in Nairobi, probably at Indaba camp.

Do you have experience on how easy it is to join a tour, for instance to Hell's gate NP from there? Can you easily find a relatively cheap join-in tour to this place, or is it necsessary to form your own group if you want to go there? Can it be organized on the spot (like the day before), or is it necessary to organize this early?

What about the sights closer to the camp, i.e. Karen Blixen home, giraffe center, Nairobi NP? Do people just go there by themselves (with taxi or sth) or is it easy to join tours that go to these places?

And do any of you have experience if there are many people from the G adv group that choose to stay a few days extra in Nairobi after an overland trip?

Best regards,
Espen

Espen,

As I mentioned in a similar recent thread, having been in Nairobi a couple of times, I've seen the giraffe center, the elephant nursery, etc. but Hell's Gate was a much better excursion in my eyes. It's pretty much a full day trip, but if you want details on who I used, shoot me a private message (as it's another tour company that did the day trip and I don't think it right to advertise for them on G's message board).

Nairobi itself isn't a particularly nice place, so if I had a few days there, I'd organize trips to Nakuru or Amboseli or somewhere else where your tour isn't touching on. If it's only a couple days, maybe Hell's Gate one day and the giraffe center, elephant nursery, safari walk and/or Karen Blixen's on the other day. And of course, a visit to Carnivore!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Return to Africa and Middle East