Egyptian visa for Canadians

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Egyptian visa for Canadians

Postby bg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm hoping someone who has been to Egypt recently can help me out. I'm Canadian and heading to Egypt in March. I have been getting mixed information about whether or not I need to get my visa ahead of time or if I can get it at the airport in Cairo upon arrival. Ideally, I would like to just spend the $15US at the airport instead of spending all the extra costs on courier and processing fees.

So, as a Canadian passport holder can I get my visa for Egypt in the airport at Cairo or do I need to get it ahead of time?

Thanks in advance.
bg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Egyptian visa for Canadians

Postby Janice08 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Unless things have changed since I was there 5 years ago, you can buy the visa at the airport. Before you go through customs/immigration there is a booth on the left near where you can exchange your money. I remember getting a different answer from everyone I asked as well (including the Egyptian embassy where the person answering the emails didn't have a good grasp of the English language, although it was better than my Arabic - which is nil!)
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby leahlovestravel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

In November 2010 you could still get your Egyptian Visa at the airport very easily and that exchange was easy to use.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Postby linzfair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 am

I also have a trip booked in April and am wondering the same thing. I am currently planning to just get my visa at the airport, so I hope that is possible.
linzfair

Postby kseal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi I have a trip booked for March 30th of this year myself. Unless something changes over night you can still get your visas for Egypt at all port of entries into Egypt. Hope this helps. Kathy
kseal

Postby worldtraveller » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm

I understand that Canadians or most people who travel to Egypt as tourist can just get the visa at airport in Cairo etc.

For canadian citizen on canadian passport, would i need 2 passport size photos to get the visa at the airport in Cairo?

As would the airlines that leave to Cairo require any documentation prior to passengers boarding plane of getting a visa on route to Egypt from other country?

is getting visa at airport in Cairo the best option and most economical option?

Would it speed things up to get the visa prior to going to Egypt, or the lines there not too long usually?
thanks

i know this is a repeat questions but i like full confirmation , thanks
JR
worldtraveller

Postby leahlovestravel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 am

I flew from Toronto via Paris and my Canadian passport was sufficient for the airlines. Don't remember needing extra passport photos to get the visa at the Cairo airport. I landed late evening and there was really no line and it was the most affordable at the time. It was a smooth process really.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Postby kseal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Good Afternoon,
I went to Turkey a few years ago and they have the same process. I got off the plane in Istanbul stood in line for about 10 mins, received a visa stamp for my passport for approximately 20$US and went about my way. The process was incredibly easy, however I can't tell you about the line ups at the Cairo airport since I haven't been before. The cost is about triple the amount if you purchase your visa a head of time, so really the decision is yours if your not sure how you want to proceed.
Cheers! Katherine
kseal

Postby kseal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh sorry and you didn't need photos. :0)
kseal

Return to Africa and Middle East