Egypt and your tourist traps - cheesy?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Egypt and your tourist traps - cheesy?

Postby worldtraveller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Just a question for all of you who have done the Egypt trips with G Adventures i like to ask did u find the felucca portion of the trip to be more of a tourist trap

how long were u on the water?

did u get enough of the Nile, was it fulfilling or not enough

what would u recommend?

what other aspects of the trip did u find to be more of cheesy touristy stuff vs educational?

Thanks like your feedback
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Egypt and your tourist traps - cheesy?

Postby tletter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 pm

worldtraveller wrote:did u find the felucca portion of the trip to be more of a tourist trap

No, it was a highlight of our trip.

worldtraveller wrote:how long were u on the water? did u get enough of the Nile, was it fulfilling or not enough

We enjoyed our time (about 24 hours) on the felucca - more would have been nice but there were many other things to do and places to see.

worldtraveller wrote:what other aspects of the trip did u find to be more of cheesy touristy stuff vs educational?

We had visits to perfume and papyrus stores in Cairo which one could classify as "cheesy touristy stuff" but there was an educational aspect as we learned about how perfumes are made and watch a papyrus making demo.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Janice08 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 pm

We spent the afternoon on the feluca (split among two boats as our group had 15 people). After spending several days going from ruins to temples in the cities along the crowded Nile it was a welcome change of pace to relax. We were tied up at night on shore next to the support boat where the washrooms and meals were provided. The next morning we took the support boat across the river to the shore and got on a bus to continue our tours of temples.

I was on the Absolute Egypt tour. Some of the other highlights were camping in the White Desert and going out sandboarding on a jeep tour near Siwa (I don't know if that will be offered given how close you are to the Lybian border.) The lightshow at the Karnak temple was a definite "cheesy tourity stuff" activity. We went back the next morning to see it in the daylight and it was impressive. During your free time in Luxor try to make it to the Luxor museum. The Egyptian museum in Cairo is so crowded and packed with exhibits you don't really get to enjoy it fully. The Luxor museum on the other hand is airconditioned with the displays carefully set out with English descriptions. A lot of the more fragile artifacts are here as they are in climate controlled glass display cases.

Overall it was a great trip and I highly recommend it. You get all the main "tourist" sights like the Pyramids and Sphynx, Valley of the Kings and Abu Simbol but you also get to explore other regions of this vast and varied country.
Janice08

Postby leahlovestravel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I did Egypt and Jordan in November 2010 and the felucca portion was one of my favourite things we did, definitely a highlight of the trip. Similar to other comments we were on it for about 24 hours and the change of pace was very welcome. Would do it again in a heartbeat. My other favourite was the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan. Clearly in high destination spots there will be "tourist traps". The felucca was not one of them. If they offer an option for a dinner cruise on the Nile in Cairo with a belly dancer, that's the one I would definitely skip...that was cheesy and the meal not worth the price.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Return to Africa and Middle East