recommendation - DVN or DTZJ??

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

recommendation - DVN or DTZJ??

Postby jen_p » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I am looking to book either the Vic falls to Nairobi tour or the zanzibar to joburg tour for the march departure and was wondering if people would recommend one of these over the other. I know they are both similar tours with the main difference being either doing the game drive/safari in the Serengeti or in Kruger...are these both comparable? One trip 'better' than the other?
Also, what are the rooms at Camp Indaba like (as I would need to spend one night there at the end of the DVN tour)? How much would transport take to get back to the Nairobi airport?
If I do DVN, is it easy enough for a single traveller to get transport in vic falls for the optionals like the elephant walk etc. on my own for the first day? Are most people left to do their own thing on day 2 in vic falls?
Thanks!
jen_p
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: recommendation - DVN or DTZJ??

Postby ballu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

I googled the joining campground for DVN...The Zambezi Waterfront

The complex includes a restaurant, shop and the "Adventure Centre" - the ideal spot to arrange all of your one-day activities in Victoria Falls from rafting to bungee jumping to town tours....

So it looks like you can arrange activities right there including elephant walk...if you're booking through the campground the transport should easily be able to pick you up there and would likely be included in the price.

Day 2 will probably be mostly optional, but your tour leader will give you the options an you'll probably have others on your tour wanting to do what you want to do.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby bexonthebeach » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I did the latter part of DVN, from Zanzibar to Nairobi and really enjoyed it. However, out of the two u mention, with hindsight I would actually choose DTZJ as I think it offers more variety.

You get to visit a variety of different game parks and habitats - Botswana is very different to Tanzania for example! Also, the fact the tour starts in Zanzibar is good as perhaps you could go out a few days early to experience the island some more, rather than be limited to just the 4 days included in the middle of the other trip. It would be better still if the zanzibar bit is at the end, as a nice place to chill after a long trip :)

Also, I was v surprised by the amount of time we spent driving in Tanzania. To get from Zanzibar to Arusha was pretty much 2 days on the bus (bar the 2hrs on the ferry) with an overnight stop in Kirogwe with nothing to see/do, just to break the journey. The the journey from Arusha to Nairobi was just sitting on a bus, broken up by the border crossing. It felt like 3 days of the trip were wasted just sat on a bus, and although the scenery is interesting, I didnt want to spend 3 whole days watching africa pass by the window, especially when the trip was only 10 days long. There seems to be less driving from vic falls to jo'burg tho which might be better.

As for Kruger vs Serengeti - both offer fantastic game viewing experiences. however the Serengeti is more open plains and dirt roads, whereas Kruger is more bushy with tarmac roads. People rave about the Ngorogoro Crater but when I went it was a bit of a washout - wet, cold and windy and all the animals were sheltering away somewhere so I wouldnt recommend anyone base their trip around a visit there. With such a high density of animals tho it has the potential to be stunning...when its not raining! That said, the herds of zebra/wildebeats calve in feb, so u may have the chance to see some cute youngsters around this time - aww :)
bexonthebeach
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby tletter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm

bexonthebeach wrote:whereas Kruger is more bushy with tarmac roads

Perhaps this is the overland experience in Kruger, however if you do a self-drive in the park, you can drive on miles of gravel roads or even 4x4 tracks. As well, since Kruger 350 kilometers in length, the ground cover varies quite a bit from the bushy areas in the south to the more open areas in the north. In any event whether it's the Serengeti or Kruger, an overland truck may not be the ideal vehicle for a game drive. In the case of DVN, the Serengeti is in 4x4 safari vehicles.

jen_p wrote:the main difference being either doing the game drive/safari in the Serengeti or in Kruger...are these both comparable?

We found the wildlife more abundant in Kruger compared to the Serengeti in July-August. On the other hand, the Ngorongoro Crater and Olduvai Gorge which are frequently combined with a visit to the Serengeti were interesting. In short, both DVN or DTZJ have their merits although I'd tend to choose DVN if it were my first trip to Africa despite the long slog from Arusha to Dar es Salaam.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:33 am

I did DKNJ -- Nairobi to Jo'burg via Zanzibar and LIvingstone. Very different experiences but the highlights of the trip for me were overnighting in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, camping in South Luangwa National Park (Zambia -- and apparently no longer on the itinerary), helicopter flight and elephant ride and rhino walk in Livingstone, and the Okavango Delta flight and mkoro cruise in Botswana. Kande Beach in Malawi was incredibly relaxing and the locals are fantastic.

If I had to give up one end of the trip (the equivalent to choosing DVN vs. DTZJ), I'd probably go with DVN and keep the Serengeti portion of the trip as well as have the opportunity to visit the Sheldrick Orphanage and Giraffe Center on an extra day in Nairobi.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Africa and Middle East