Where to go for a month in mid/late June

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Where to go for a month in mid/late June

Postby smyry52 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm looking to do an overland trip in Africa in mid or late June to last about 25-30 days. Debating between DATJ (Cape Town, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, J-burg) or something that would do Kenya/Tanzania instead.

I've heard amazing things about the Okavango Delta. Is it worth skipping over the chance to do the Masa Mari/Serengeti? I feel like East Africa is all game drives and the other option is a lot more variety, but is it enough game between Kruger/Chobe/Etosha to get a good safari experience?

Anyone done the trip I'm looking at or an E Africa one in June/July that has any thoughts?
smyry52
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Where to go for a month in mid/late June

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Mid to late June would be good for most areas. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the following trips. THey all offer a variety of wildlife and landscapes and would all be on my short list. Really depends on your budget.

Nairobi to Joburg
http://www.gadventures.com/trips/nairob ... DKBJ/2012/

Cape Town to Joberg
http://www.gadventures.com/trips/cape-t ... DACJ/2012/

Ultimate East Africa
http://www.gadventures.com/trips/ultima ... DKUE/2012/
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby tletter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

smyry52 wrote:I've heard amazing things about the Okavango Delta. Is it worth skipping over the chance to do the Masa Mari/Serengeti?

Not in my opinion. I found the Serengeti offered a more rewarding game view experience than the Okavango Delta. A trip into the Ngorongoro Crater is also unique and usually is included with a trip to the Serengeti.

smyry52 wrote:I feel like East Africa is all game drives and the other option is a lot more variety, but is it enough game between Kruger/Chobe/Etosha to get a good safari experience?

If you've never been to Africa, you cannot go wrong with either option. However, there is one experience that is available in Uganda/Rwanda that you might consider which is a visit to see the mountain gorillas.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby bexonthebeach » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 pm

June is a v good time to visit the Okavango Delta, Chobe, Kruger and Etosha because its the dry season and the animals have less of a chance to hide behind lush vegetation. For that time of year, if you have a month, I would recommend the Capetown to Jo'burg trip. It takes in all three places, plus you could have a few extra days in Capetown at the start where there is quite a bit to do. Vic Falls isnt at its most dramatic in June (its at full flow in april/may) but this can be a good thing as its easier to photograph without ruining ur camera! It isnt the dry season however, so will still be very impressive. I know lots of people who have been to Kruger and they all loved it, thought the game viewing there was superb, so you'd certainly end on a high!

As for east africa - I loved my trips there, and feel it gives a classic safari experience as the animals are just THERE and its exactly how you imagine it, with open savannahs dotted with grazing zebras and prides of lions relaxing among the grass. However, at that time of year the migration is no longer on the move, having arrive mid-late may and settling in huge numbers in the Serengeti, so although that will be an amazing sight, it wont be much of a 'migration' experience. It seems to be a little less developed than southern africa too, with ppl on my trip who did the vic falls to zanzibar leg having been thru much rougher, more basic conditions.

I also found that there wasnt quite so much difference between the animals and scenery in Kenya/Tanzania, however on a CPT-JNB trip, you would pass thru bone dry namibia, the lush delta and the varied habitats in Chobe, then into bushy Kruger. It really does look like an awesome trip, and if ever I could wangle a month of work, I'd be on it in a flash!
bexonthebeach

Postby smyry52 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for the info so far. Leaning towards Cape Town to JBurg. Anyone been to Etosha, Chobe, or Kruger that can comment on them? Would I likely at least see some stuff?
smyry52

Postby Zuleika » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Etosha water hole is amazing ++++ I could have stayed there all night, it was like being at Noahs ark - the animals just kept coming and coming. (its at a camp so you can sit up as long as you want)
And I loved Botswana, Namibia and Zambia - amazing places - prob my fav out of all the 4 safaris I have done. However the schlep from Cape town up to Namibia is pretty boring!

Looking back - Kruger is not really my fav - this is because its all tarmac roads and fenced in camps - I much much prefer the out- there, wild experience, dirt roads and scary animals - elephants, hippos, lions, hyenas - roaming through your camp at night - for the total wild experience this is second to none and it also feels so much more 'real' - but that's my own personal view - you see loads in all the parks no worries.

Also - prefered Bots/Namib/Zambia to East Africa because tourism imo has somewhat spoilt EA, overloaded with safari's as well as the masses of children begging for sweets and pens as a result of tourists 'giving', is not great. If you can get past this bitter-sweet side, then it is fabulous viewing as others have said. And on the plus side I seem to remember there is less drive time between parks in EA than Southern Africa.
Uganda was totally amazing and still relatively untouched - my very close second fav place. Gorillas = massive wow! And I watched lions sniff round our camp fire from my tent - scareeeee!

I guess in the end all the safari's have their good points and not so good points, and every country offers something different, but in the main Africa is an amazing and addictive continent and which ever trip you choose you will have an awesome and unique experience and I guarantee, like me, you'll be back. Over and over! :D
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby smyry52 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the response. When you say the drive from Cape Town to Nambia is boring, do you mean the Namib desert of that first day to two days getting up to Fish River Canyon.

Also, if I haven't camped in a LONG time, am I going to struggle getting the tent up? What size sleeping bag do most people take? I'm looking at ones that compress to 8*14 or 10*15 (inches). Too big?

Thanks again. Hoping to book in the next week to ten days
smyry52

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I wouldn't worry about the size of the bag, but more the warmth factor. It can get pretty darn cold at night. Make sure you have something that's good for below freezing.
DanielBMe

Postby markmol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:40 pm

once you have put the tents up a couple of times it becomes a little easier, you can usually have them up & take them down in about 5 minutes. With the sleeping bag as Daniel says the warmth factor is what you need to look at.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

smyry52 wrote:Thanks for the response. When you say the drive from Cape Town to Nambia is boring, do you mean the Namib desert of that first day to two days getting up to Fish River Canyon.

Also, if I haven't camped in a LONG time, am I going to struggle getting the tent up? What size sleeping bag do most people take? I'm looking at ones that compress to 8*14 or 10*15 (inches). Too big?

Thanks again. Hoping to book in the next week to ten days

Apart from Fish river canyon, I found the whole schlep up to Sossusvlei lots of road and really not very exciting. If I had to do it over I would pick a trip that started in Windhoek that went to Sossusvlei and onward instead - not sure if that option exists on G but it does elsewhere. Of course you would miss Cape Town too, but Id been there before. Also I have been to the Grand Canyon so Fish River was only OK for me on this basis. Otherwise take ipod and books etc to fill your time and grin and bare it, from Sosssusvlei onward its awesome!

Tent wise - you will be fine - you are shown on the first day and helped if you struggle till you get it - it really is pretty easy - I had a tent to myself and was able to put up and take down by myself no problem.
Sleeping bags, you need warm, dont worry too much about size, I had a waterproof shrink jacket/bag round mine and just slung it in the truck like that, dont bother to try and get it in your main pack every day.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby bexonthebeach » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:51 am

I took my sleeping bag on the plane as hand luggage (no way did I want to try and find a shop selling them in Zanzibar if my luggage got lost!) and just chucked it in the bus every day, so never needed to pack it. Dont worry about how big it is as a result, just make sure its protected from dust/sharp edges in s tuff sack for example.

Saying that..I took a 2 season sleeping bag with me as it was small, light and in the sale, however it wasnt quite as warm as I would've liked. One good discovery I have made since is the 'Thermolite Reactor Liner' which is a super light weight, compact sleeping bag liner that adds up to 8 degrees to the comfort rating of ur sleeping bag. It packs down really small and means you dont necessarily need to get a larger 3 season bag to still be warm.
bexonthebeach

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 pm

smyry52, sent you a PM.
DanielBMe

Return to Africa and Middle East