Do you feel safe travelling to Egypt after the kidnapping?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Do you feel safe travelling to Egypt after the kidnapping?

Postby worldtravelguy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi guys - I was planning on going to Egypt this year and now I'm not too sure. People were already telling me not to because of the protests, but after some research online and people's experiences, it was only in a small part of Egypt and the news just blows it out of proportion (as usual). So I was still planning on going.

Just recently thouogh - there was the breaking news of the tour group that got kidnapped. Thankfully they are safe and released, and you can read the story at the link below. But I would personally be terrified in that position.
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... g-in-egypt

Were any of you planning on travelling to Egypt this year, and if so, are you still going? :?:

Also, Israel Explorer :)
worldtravelguy
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Do you feel safe travelling to Egypt after the kidnapping?

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:25 pm

worldtravelguy wrote:Hi guys - I was planning on going to Egypt this year and now I'm not too sure. People were already telling me not to because of the protests, but after some research online and people's experiences, it was only in a small part of Egypt and the news just blows it out of proportion (as usual). So I was still planning on going.

Just recently thouogh - there was the breaking news of the tour group that got kidnapped. Thankfully they are safe and released, and you can read the story at the link below. But I would personally be terrified in that position.
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... g-in-egypt

Were any of you planning on travelling to Egypt this year, and if so, are you still going? :?:

I think that given that situation, anyone who tells you that they wouldn't be terrified would be lying. Certainly, there's a lot of unrest in the middle east right now, and there's a level of risk that you're accepting if you decide to travel there.

I definitely think the situation bears watching, but it's worth noting that the tour operators haven't suspended their services there yet. Pay attention to the travel warnings from your government (Gov't of Canada has every country listed on their travel website with any warnings about areas to avoid). I would recommend keeping your finger on the pulse right until the time you leave, because if things worsen, it may make sense to cancel.

Chances of anything happening are probably low, but it's good to at least have a pretty good understanding of where things are at in any country you're visiting.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby michelleo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:29 am

I am going to Egpyt on a trip that is leaving in a couple of weeks and I have been watching this situation with a lot of interest as well. I think the advice already given about referencing your government's travel site is the best thing you can do. According to the US State Department, the Sinai Peninsula (where this group was traveling) is an area of on-going terrorist activity and they have strict limitations on their own embassy personnel traveling in that region. Of course, anything can happen anywhere, but it seems that following the practical advice from agencies who live and work in the country will substantially reduce your risk. I am really looking forward to my trip!
michelleo
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kiwijm1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:04 am

I am on the March 15th Egypt to Jordan trip which includes a visit to the Sinai, St Catherines and Mt Sinai. Have been following the news of recent events, however I feel the odds of something nasty taking place is remote, especially as we will have an experienced guide. I appreciate the fact that there should be lower numbers of tourists in popular spots.
I will also be traveling in Egypt on my own for the week before the trip. Looking forward to it.

John
kiwijm1

Postby clairew85 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 am

I have just spent the last week on the best of Egypt tour and I felt safe everywhere. We were not sure if we would get to the Egyptian museum as it is in tahrir square but we made it fine. We saw a tiny disturbance in Aswan but 5 minutes later we would have missed it. Otherwise you would know nothing was happening apart from the shear lack of tourists everywhere.
clairew85

Postby linzfair » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

My trip is April 6th, and I am going without hesitation. Honestly look at any country, even the US for example, there are dangers in any country you visit in some way. As long as you are smart and careful I am 100% sure things will be just fine. The media shows many countries in such a bad light.
linzfair

Return to Africa and Middle East