Sleeping Bag for Cape Town to Zanzibar

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping Bag for Cape Town to Zanzibar

Postby em_g008 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:49 pm

We're doing the Cape Town to Zanzibar route at the end of May (so beginning of winter months in SA). Does anyone know what kind of temperatures to expect at night? I've heard it can get really cold in Namibia and Botswana at night during those months. We are currently shopping for sleeping bags and I'm not sure what temperature rating to get. I'm thinking -7 C? Or should we go warmer?
em_g008
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Sleeping Bag for Cape Town to Zanzibar

Postby clairew85 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 am

Ive just come back off the Jo'burg to nairobi and had a -5. I only needed it properly further up Tanzania (Ngorongoro Crater) the rest of the nights I either slept in a sleeping bag liner or used the bag more as a blanket.
clairew85
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:29 pm

em_g008 wrote:We're doing the Cape Town to Zanzibar route at the end of May (so beginning of winter months in SA). Does anyone know what kind of temperatures to expect at night? I've heard it can get really cold in Namibia and Botswana at night during those months. We are currently shopping for sleeping bags and I'm not sure what temperature rating to get. I'm thinking -7 C? Or should we go warmer?

I doubt you need anything warmer than that. As the other poster said, it can be cold at Ngorongoro and it was a little on the chilly side at night when I was in the Kalahari in Botswana as well (although we were there in August/September, but May still is going in to the winter months there).

I think anything warmer than that and you'll be uncomfortable in most of the stops where you will be dealing with warmer night time temperatures.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:23 pm

I think -7 should be ok but take something fleecy to sleep in (and to wear round the fire in the evening) and i also had thermals which were great
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 am

My standard bag is rated for about -7 C and I was pretty cozy in it for most of the trip (late June in South Africa). In fact, I loaned out my sleeping bag liners to people who had less insulated sleeping bags. The coldest we saw were two nights in SA at -3 and -4 C respectively (and even the South Africans on the trip were surprised that it got that cold).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Africa and Middle East