Camera lenses for south east Africa

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Camera lenses for south east Africa

Postby peter1977 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Hey guys
Ok so I have been doing some research about what camera and lenses to buy for my trip to Africa. So I'm a little confused and was hoping that you guys may be able offer some advice. Naturally I am wanting to take some cool pics of game and scenery, Im stuck between a dual lens kit 18-55 and 55-300 or single lens 18-200. do you think it's better to go for one stronger lens 18-200 or two lenses one for closer shots 18-55 and the other lens for more zoom 55-300. Really interested in your thoughts. Cheers and thanks for your time.
Peter.......
peter1977
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Camera lenses for south east Africa

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 pm

You really can't easily change lenses on safari. It is so dusty and windy that you risk having big crap blown into your camera body if you try. I opted for two cameras. I kept my zoom (75-300) on my main camera and my husband carried our small point and shoot (14x optical zoom) that also did video. No matter what zoom you choose there will still be animals beyond your reach. If you are going with only one then you need something that can capture the further animals as well as the ones that decide to chill in the shade provided by your jeep. If you have to choose one I would suggest the 18-200. You'll still get good close-ups (except for some birds) but the wide angle will give you some spectacular panoramic shots.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby markmol » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 pm

i took a 18-270mm tamron lens on my camera which gave me good options, as inca trail50 says there is always some wildlife just that bit too far away to get the perfect shot. The point & shot is also good to carry with you.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 am

This topic has already been discussed a lot on this forum already so have a search around for the info you need- here are some links to get you going but there are more.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8881&hilit=+lens+africa

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11129&hilit=+lens+africa

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14318&hilit=+lens+africa

For my two cents worth, for safari you need the longer lens absolutely definitely, and even 300mm isnt long enough in some cases. But 200mm is no where near long enough, even on a crop camera.
I took 2 lenses but like Inca trail I also had a point and shoot which I used for wide angle/closeup mainly leaving my long lens on the camera.
I didnt have that much problem with dust when changing lens.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:12 pm

peter1977 wrote:Hey guys
Ok so I have been doing some research about what camera and lenses to buy for my trip to Africa. So I'm a little confused and was hoping that you guys may be able offer some advice. Naturally I am wanting to take some cool pics of game and scenery, Im stuck between a dual lens kit 18-55 and 55-300 or single lens 18-200. do you think it's better to go for one stronger lens 18-200 or two lenses one for closer shots 18-55 and the other lens for more zoom 55-300. Really interested in your thoughts. Cheers and thanks for your time.
Peter.......

If you're trying to get good pictures of wildlife, take the largest zoom you can. There will be a few times where animals are going to be right next to your vehicle, but more often they're going to keep their distance a bit. For my last two trips to Africa, I took an 18-250mm and a 55-300mm, and kept the bigger zoom on most of the time. If you're looking at taking a picture of a landscape or sunset, there's always time to change lenses. If you're looking at an animal, you don't know how long it will sit still.

My next trip back, I'm taking an even bigger lens (50-500mm) but also considering taking a wide angle lens (14mm or 15mm - have to decide which to buy!). My 18-250 will probably make the trip too, simply because it's an incredibly versatile lens and good for walks where I don't want to carry a lot of gear.

I definitely recommend your 300mm zoom over the 200mm zoom though, as everyone who I've travelled with that has brought a 200mm zoom has said they wished they'd brought a longer lens...especially when sitting around comparing photos at the end of the night with those in the group that have the extra zoom.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 pm

AdamfromCanada wrote:
but also considering taking a wide angle lens (14mm or 15mm - have to decide which to buy!).

Hey Adam - off topic - but check out the sigma 10 -20mm - I totally adore mine!!! Takes amazing landscape shots! :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby bobobobo51 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm

id personally opt for a ultra zoom (30x + ) you can never have too much reach in africa
and any slr/lens combo.
With all honesty some of the ultra zooms these days take very nice photos.
bobobobo51

Postby laurako » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:53 am

I'm going on a safari trip in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania in september and I'm already now looking out for a new camera.

I'm not very big on photography, but I do like to capture that great shot, and I would like to bring a good camera and with enough zoom to capture the animals.

Right now I'm debating whether to get a super zoom compact camera with up to 30x optical zoom or to get a DSLR with one or two lenses, but would the 300mm zoom lens provide enough zoom compared to the 30x super zoom camera?

laurako
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby btomlin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I did Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania and I took my Nikon D80 with two lenses. 70 - 300 which I kept on while we doing safari portions, and my 18 - 75 which I used when we did the gorilla trek, in Zanzibar, and a couple other places.
I would have been dissapointed with anything less than 300 on safari, so I'm glad I had it.
btomlin
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby markmol » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:30 pm

hi i used a tamron 18-270 lens on my EOS, saved changing lenses, i also took a point & shoot digital camera that i kept in my pocket for the times i did not want to carry my other camera
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby bobobobo51 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Id go for more reach personally.
for example the sony hx100 has an equiv of 810mm with very reasonable photos (think point and shoot quality)
bobobobo51

Return to Africa and Middle East