Places to stay in Cape Town

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Places to stay in Cape Town

Postby katharyns » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I leave for the nairobi to cape town overland in just a few days. I plan on staying an extra few nights in cape town to see the sights, beaches and the town. but im having a difficult time picking where would be the best place to stay. def a hostel/backpackers. im thinking 'penthouse on long', but im open to any suggestions.
katharyns
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Places to stay in Cape Town

Postby razzy38 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 am

Try the Saasfield Lodge, this is the accommodation where we started out on our GAP tour in 2009.
We found it very convenient and clean, good view of Table Mountain too, good end of town where there are lots of good restaurants.
Regards,
Rich.
see below.

"Our single rooms are R550 per night and the doubles are R800 – both rates include a full English breakfast.
Since you are joining a GAP tour, however, I can give you a discount on that. Would you be interested in booking a room?

Kind regards
Anna Retief"

Saasveld Lodge
73 Kloof Street
Tel: +27 21 424 6169
Fax: +27 86 567 2849
razzy38
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:38 am

I would check Trip Advisor's Cape Town thread. Lots of good info there.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g17 ... _Cape.html
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby gaja » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello there!

I stayed in the Saasveld Lodge for 2 nights in 2010 starting my GAP trip there. The location was very central and it was a nice lodge, but if I understand your post correctly, you are rather looking for lower-priced accomodation.
There are several backpackers on and around Long Street (Penthouse on Long, Two Oceans Backpackers, Long Street Backpackers and so on). I haven't stayed in any of them, but it's a good starting point to explore the city and (if you're up for it) to enjoy the nightlife.
As already mentioned, check trip advisor and other websites like http://www.capetown.travel to collect further information.

Have a nice trip!
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kateyb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 pm

I stayed at the African backpack and travel company and I couldn't recommend it enough!
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby georginal » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

try this website

http://www.hostelworld.com

and make sure you read the reviews.

I stayed in Long Street Backpackers and loved it. Went back again and would return if I had half a chance! Its right in the middle of it all though. Good if thats your thing.
georginal

Return to Africa and Middle East