Overland vs Specific area of Africa

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Overland vs Specific area of Africa

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I REALLY want to go back!

I totally agree! I've only been once and there's lots left to see. I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you choose as a first trip. :) Africa is awesome!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby worldtraveller » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Sounds like an amazing blast , folks.
my planned African time will be in October.

So i am looking at options, for sure as i like a venture, do the kilimanjaro trek

and safaris i have to look at, so many options and maybe combine overland or just do overland,
African has lots to offer,

For the overland trips though, are those more less a big bus tour type of thing, only difference u drive on my rough roads then paved?

for the overland, did they take u to any tourist trap places, like stores where they sell u over priced junk etc?
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm

The overland trip is on a big truck but it's like being on a bus. Most of the roads you travel are well-paved but the truck configuration means they have storage underneath the passenger cab designed the way they want and need (refrigerator, stove, coolers, chairs, tents, luggage, etc.).

We visited a couple things that were sort of touristy -- an hour or two at a trinket store that also had Tanzanite jewelry and some time at a Maasai village that reminded me of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii -- but we had fun at both and GAP is pretty good about steering clear of tourist traps.

There are trinkets at the Maasai Marketplace at Snake Park campground in Arusha but they're priced well and the Maasai blankets are great -- definitely buy one when you get a chance!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Previous

Return to Africa and Middle East