Jordan during Ramadan

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Jordan during Ramadan

Postby Starbuck86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey guys,

In an effort to escape some, or maybe all, of the 2012 Olympics, my friend and I are planning to book a trip to Jordan. Of course, as luck would have it the Olympics pretty match up with Ramadan this year. I know that tourists are not expected to observe the fast but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about travelling during Ramadan? I guess the most obvious thing is to try and eat and drink discreetly when in public. Do you think it's a good time to visit an Arab country or would we be better off picking another time?

Cheers,

Starbuck
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Jordan during Ramadan

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Starbuck86 wrote:Hey guys,

In an effort to escape some, or maybe all, of the 2012 Olympics, my friend and I are planning to book a trip to Jordan. Of course, as luck would have it the Olympics pretty match up with Ramadan this year. I know that tourists are not expected to observe the fast but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about travelling during Ramadan? I guess the most obvious thing is to try and eat and drink discreetly when in public. Do you think it's a good time to visit an Arab country or would we be better off picking another time?

Cheers,

Starbuck

I would suggest travelling to an Arab country another time and when you can experience the real buzz of the places and the people, especially the local markets.
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby mucka » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:44 pm

i travelled around Jordan during Ramadan 2011.

in the cities/towns where there is a higher likelihood of tourists, there are cafes etc open to cater to the tourists.. but for the most part, stores are closed until the breaking of fast. you are correct about drinking and eating discreetly.. purely out of respect for the fact the person selling the items is fasting. Once the evening approaches and the locals 'break fast' the areas are very active and busy.

Jordan, as a whole, was very quiet when I was there - but it was a combination of Ramadan and the ongoing Arab Spring happening all around Jordan. I quite enjoyed being there for Ramadan because it felt like I had every location to myself during the day, then enjoyed the busy local atmosphere late into the evening/night..
mucka
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. We weighed up the pros and cons and decided to go earlier in the year. we got a great deal with a company that unfortunately isn't GAdventures, so we're off to Jordan in April. Can't wait!
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86

Return to Africa and Middle East