54 Ultimate Africa (booking extra stuff)

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

54 Ultimate Africa (booking extra stuff)

Postby kmturner » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello,

I am currently booked for the 54 day ultimate Africa and just wanted to know how easy it is to book the additional stuff (scuba diving, extra game drives, town tours, etc) while on the tour.

I was told to wait till you’re on the tour to book these things just in case the weather is gross or the trip is delayed. I am just curious how you go about booking extra stuff while on a truck.....

Cheers,

Kim
kmturner
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 54 Ultimate Africa (booking extra stuff)

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Kim, it's really easy. You'll have a CEO or local leader with you throughout the trip and he/she will inform you of all options but you have any special interests then just let them know at the beginning. You book and pay on the way so just decide once there and check out the various options (some you may not have thought of). No need to book in advance.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: 54 Ultimate Africa (booking extra stuff)

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:50 pm

The CEOs keep a binder on the truck with lists and prices of optional activities at each stop but you generally make your arrangements when you get to the stop. For instance, I made our guide aware that I wanted to dive in Zanzibar and Malawi and she told me where to go when our truck stopped. In both cases, it was easy since there were just two outfits near Amaan Bungalows and I booked with the one that was right in the bungalow area. In Malawi, the Aquanauts hut is just past the camping area so also very easy to find.

In Livingstone, Saf Par will come make a pitch to the entire tour group after you get tents sorted out and you then go to their desk to pay for the activities you've selected.

In Botswana, the CEO told us about the Delta flights ahead of time and then led those of us that wanted to fly over to the Maun office to book our flights. We had to arrange our own groups as we had 3 planes worth of people wanting to do the flights (and sadly, the last group missed a little since it got dark).

The only time I didn't have CEO help arranging for optional activities was my first pre-tour day in Nairobi but I had met up with others who were arriving early so we all gathered in the hotel lobby after breakfast to look up tours and arranged with a hotel driver to just have him drive us to the activities we wanted (Giraffe Center, Sheldrick Animal Orphanage, lunch at the Carnivore, visit to Isak Dinesen's "Out of Africa" house). We couldn't get CEO help with that one since we didn't meet her until later that evening at the Joining Meeting.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Africa and Middle East