Dubai and visas for Canadians

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Dubai and visas for Canadians

Postby worldtraveller » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:04 pm

For Canadians flying into UAE and to Dubai.

Do canadians still have to pay the $300 for a visa or landing fee there?

thanks
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Dubai and visas for Canadians

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:42 pm

worldtraveller wrote:For Canadians flying into UAE and to Dubai.

Do canadians still have to pay the $300 for a visa or landing fee there?

thanks

I think so. Unfortunately, the Harper government got in to a spat with the UAE over landing rights for the UAE airlines in Canada. Due to some ham-handed negotiating on the part of our government, Canadians have been slapped with the fees and a visa you need to apply for ahead of your trip there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2%80%93United_Arab_Emirates_aviation_dispute

That said, if your visit is merely a layover, you can get by with a transit visa that you can get at the airport:

http://www.uae-embassy.ae/Embassies/ca/Content/2117
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:09 pm

If yr lucky enough to be flying with Emirates or Etihad this may be worth looking into:
http://www.emirates247.com/business/vis ... 3-1.337245
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby guillaume87 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 am

WHY would you need a visa when you plan to stay inside the airport during the course of the layover? You do mean IN TRANSIT and not completing Immigration?
I have NEVER needed a visa when I am in transit in an international airport, I am an Australian citizen and I have been travelling annually for the past 27 years including Nepal, India, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Thailand, Burma, England, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Malaysia, Indonesia Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam USA, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Turkey, Greece, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Syria, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Qatar and Mongolia.
I have lots of questions on where this idea has come from because you are the fifth person in a week on TT who has asked this question. Can somebody else tell me WHICH International Airport requires a visa IF you are in transit and not doing Immigration?
guillaume87
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Zuleika » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 am

guillaume87 wrote:I have lots of questions on where this idea has come from because you are the fifth person in a week on TT who has asked this question. Can somebody else tell me WHICH International Airport requires a visa IF you are in transit and not doing Immigration?

Slightly off topic - but USA - you need a visa (or in visa waiver scheme) as you have to pass through customs and often re-check your bags even when just in transit. I try to avoid flying through USA at all costs because of the pain this.

However, Worldtraveller doesn't say he's transiting in the original post, hes asking for going there!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

guillaume87 wrote:WHY would you need a visa when you plan to stay inside the airport during the course of the layover? You do mean IN TRANSIT and not completing Immigration?
I have NEVER needed a visa when I am in transit in an international airport, I am an Australian citizen and I have been travelling annually for the past 27 years including Nepal, India, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Thailand, Burma, England, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Malaysia, Indonesia Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam USA, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Turkey, Greece, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Syria, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Qatar and Mongolia.
I have lots of questions on where this idea has come from because you are the fifth person in a week on TT who has asked this question. Can somebody else tell me WHICH International Airport requires a visa IF you are in transit and not doing Immigration?

A Transit Visa, for the UAE is one where you are staying in the country for 96 hours or less. I would assume if you're staying that long (as I am in April), you'd probably want to leave the airport...even if it's going to cost you a fair penny.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Return to Africa and Middle East