Delta Falls and Kruger with my Dad

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delta Falls and Kruger with my Dad

Postby peter1977 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:53 am

G'day fellow G adventurers!!
I'm doing the delta falls and Kruger trip in may 2012 with my dad who is 67. My dad is in love with all things nature and wildlife as am I, so really looking forward to spending time with the old man. I guess what I'm concerned about is that there is heaps of info out there, so it can be a little overwhelming. The main purpose of this trip is to check out as much wild life as possible plus the delta experience seems out of this world. Has anyone out there done this trip or travelled through these areas, what did you guys think, did it meet your expectations? Any feedback is really appreciated.
peter1977
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Delta Falls and Kruger with my Dad

Postby shawroden » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:17 am

I have done the Delta and Falls part of this trip. The Delta is amazing and one of the best experiences of my life. The falls are breath-taking. I would recommend crossing over to the Zimbabwe side to really get the best experience. We walked across (takes about 45 minutes to walk) and it was well worth it as you really get to feel the spray! You'll have an amazing time.
shawroden
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kateyb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:10 am

i have done the delta/falls part of that trip too last March. It was amazing. Going into the delta was such a great experience. You could hear hippos and lions roaring at night while in your tent. The walking safari was really cool too.

The falls were great and there is so much to do/see there. We did the lion encounter, elephant back safari/helicopter tour and walked to the Zimbabwe side (much better view in my opinion) and they were all worth it.

If nature/wildlife if your main interest, the delta should be a highlight of your trip. It was for mine.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 pm

peter1977 wrote:G'day fellow G adventurers!!
I'm doing the delta falls and Kruger trip in may 2012 with my dad who is 67. My dad is in love with all things nature and wildlife as am I, so really looking forward to spending time with the old man. I guess what I'm concerned about is that there is heaps of info out there, so it can be a little overwhelming. The main purpose of this trip is to check out as much wild life as possible plus the delta experience seems out of this world. Has anyone out there done this trip or travelled through these areas, what did you guys think, did it meet your expectations? Any feedback is really appreciated.

You'll see wildlife in the Delta, although unlikely to see the big cats. We saw giraffes, elephants, zebra, hippo & antelope, plus buffalo and ostrich from the plane over the delta. We also saw a snake from uncomfortably close to our mokoro as we polled along, something we were told was a fairly rare spotting as most of the snakes are quite shy. The Delta is a truly incredible experience, and one I'm extremely glad I could do.

I'm not sure if your trip stops at Chobe, but ours (Dunes, Delta & Falls) did, and there's an incredible density of wildlife there. Saw lions, and talked to other groups who'd seen leopard and cheetah as well. Beyond that there were elephants, hippos, baboons, crocs, buffalo, all sorts of antelope including kudu, puku and sable antelope. We did a cruise down the river in the evening, and a game drive through the park the next morning.

I've never yet been to Kruger, but everything I've heard about it suggests you'll see LOTS of animals there. Wikipedia says there are 517 species of birds and 147 species of mammal that call the park home, so you should probably find a couple of those!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby tletter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

peter1977 wrote:The main purpose of this trip is to check out as much wild life as possible plus the delta experience seems out of this world.

We've been to the Okavango Delta, Chobe, Victoria Falls and Kruger. Of these the best place to view wildlife was Kruger since we drove ourselves and could go where we wanted and stay at a sighting as long as we wanted. As well, we were able to go on walking safaris, e.g. Metsi-Metsi Trail. Walking safaris are a very interesting way to see wildlife.

Hopefully you will enter the Okavango Delta in a mokoro since that is what made the delta interesting for us. We saw only some limited wildlife when in the delta but much more during our flight over it.

The Chobe River cruise was excellent with lots of birds and animals to see up close.

Victoria Falls is more for the adrenaline activities than wildlife (walking with lions is not a wildlife experience IMHO). I'd recommend a microlight flight over the falls, a boat trip to Livingstone Island on the lip of the falls and a walk along the gorge-hugging paths in the Victoria Falls National Park in Zimbabwe.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm

tletter wrote:
peter1977 wrote:The main purpose of this trip is to check out as much wild life as possible plus the delta experience seems out of this world.

We've been to the Okavango Delta, Chobe, Victoria Falls and Kruger. Of these the best place to view wildlife was Kruger since we drove ourselves and could go where we wanted and stay at a sighting as long as we wanted. As well, we were able to go on walking safaris, e.g. Metsi-Metsi Trail. Walking safaris are a very interesting way to see wildlife.

Hopefully you will enter the Okavango Delta in a mokoro since that is what made the delta interesting for us. We saw only some limited wildlife when in the delta but much more during our flight over it.

The Chobe River cruise was excellent with lots of birds and animals to see up close.

Victoria Falls is more for the adrenaline activities than wildlife (walking with lions is not a wildlife experience IMHO). I'd recommend a microlight flight over the falls, a boat trip to Livingstone Island on the lip of the falls and a walk along the gorge-hugging paths in the Victoria Falls National Park in Zimbabwe.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/

The elephant-back safari in Mosi-oa-Tunya NP is a bit of a wildlife experience. We saw impala, waterbuck, bushbuck and vultures on our walk. And on the cruise down the Zambezi river, while mostly about dinner and drinks (lots of drinks), we saw elephant, hippos and a variety of birds. We even saw an elephant stroll across the road while we were in a taxi to one of our activities. And at the Falls themselves, there were several small lizards and some aggressive baboons to watch out for...including one that was at the door to the customs office to cross the bridge to Zimbabwe!

There is wildlife that you'll see throughout the trip, including at roadside as you drive along between destinations.
AdamfromCanada

Postby Zuleika » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I've done 4 safari's now and I have to admit that the Kruger is my least favourite (but I still had a great time - dont get me wrong!). This is because its all tarmac roads and fences and I'm all about the wild and out-there experience in which to see my animals, I like it when they turn up in your camp - although this can be frightening - but exhilarating at the same time! This doesn't happen in the Kruger, and it all seemed a bit safaripark/zoo for me, although it is massive and you do see a lot of animals, I cant dispute that.
But I want to see my animals truly wild and roaming free and I like proper bush camping rather than fenced-in campsites. You get this in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia which I much preferred over Kruger. However if this is not of concern then you will have a blast in Kruger still, and get a lot from it.
And then again the Etosha water hole is like Noahs ark - the animals come 2 by 2 and you could just sit there ALL night watching them - outstanding.
Last edited by Zuleika on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby peter1977 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm

WOW really amazing feed back, looks like I'm on the right track, thanks to all for taking the time to read my post and for the great responses :D :D
peter1977

Postby collywobbles » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:20 pm

:D hi peter1977

I did the dunes delta falls trip in august last year and i have to say deltas falls part was one of my favourites. going through the delta in mokoro camping in the delta going on sunrise sunset mokoro
rides not too much wilflife when we went on the walking safari of the delta some giraffes elephants we had a heard of elephants tramp close to our camp very close the falls were amazing i did the helicopter ride over the falls wow i also did the lion walk which was one of the highlights of the trip for me some photos on flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles just to give you an idea. as other post have said estosha was the best places for wildlife unsure of kruger as i did not get to go there. have a fab trip you will enjoy it

cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Zuleika wrote:And then again the Etosha water hole is like Noahs ark - the animals come 2 by 2 and you could just sit there ALL night watching them - outstanding.

I did think it a little funny in Etosha that the waterholes are all man-made...I wondered aloud actually about whether it interrupted some former migration north, although a Swiss guy on my tour pointed out that there's a lot of landmines in Angola, so the animals aren't really missing out.

Still, I LOVED the experience of sitting watching the waterhole in my two nights in Etosha and barely slept either night as I was out watching animals as late as possible.
AdamfromCanada

Return to Africa and Middle East