Gorilla Trekking in the wet season

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Gorilla Trekking in the wet season

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 am

Hi All,

Looking for advice from those of you who have been gorilla trekking in the wet season. I am going to Rwanda in February and want to know if it is going to be a terrible mistake during the wet season as I am not known for my trekking abilities! I think (from forums I have read) that the trek won't be as long as food will be more plentiful and the gorillas won't be as high in the mountain. Does anyone agree with this or am I just making myself feel better with the thought?

Cheers Sarah!
sarahfromaustralia
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Gorilla Trekking in the wet season

Postby tletter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

sarahfromaustralia wrote:I am going to Rwanda in February and want to know if it is going to be a terrible mistake during the wet season as I am not known for my trekking abilities!

We went to Ruhengeri, Rwanda to see the mountain gorillas in July and I would say that the mountains in the Virunga National Park were wet even then as they are shrouded in mist in the morning.
sarahfromaustralia wrote:I think ... that the trek won't be as long as food will be more plentiful and the gorillas won't be as high in the mountain.

Perhaps but in our case the gorilla family was only an hour's hike from our vehicle with about a third of the hike being up farmers' fields. Perhaps you are also aware that there are several family groups that can be visited by groups of up to eight people for only one hour once per day as it would be too stressful for the gorillas to have people around them all day. This is too say that some of the families might be higher up to mountains than others. The guides do try to group people by age to keep the group cohesive.
sarahfromaustralia wrote:I am going to Rwanda in February and want to know if it is going to be a terrible mistake during the wet season as I am not known for my trekking abilities!

I've no idea about your hiking ability but you can use hiking poles and hire a porter to help you. So if February was the only time that I'd get a chance to see the mountain gorillas, then I'd give it a go.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Gorilla Trekking in the wet season

Postby katiebum4 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I did the Gorilla trek in Uganda in March and it was amazing. Our trek was only 30 mins in, it was through very dense brush but our guide cut through most of it. We ended up seeing 5 gorillas. Our second group had to trek in almost 2 hrs and they had some gappers who were 50+ and made it fine(some with assistance from a porter or 2).I am not a hiker and I did fine. Just make sure that your socks are high enough for your pants to tuck into. I ended up with fire ants in my pants and it is not enjoyable!

Enjoy:)
K
katiebum4
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Africa and Middle East