Iran - photos from home?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iran - photos from home?

Postby sairen42 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm interested in traveling to Iran (trying to convince my husband it's safe enough!), and I had one question. It's so minor in the grand scheme of things, but I hoped someone here would know.
I understand that the Iranians are generally very friendly and curious about tourists and about Americans. I thought it might be nice to have some pictures from home of my friends and family to show - some everyday scenes, some from special moments... but of course me and my female friends are almost never in what would be considered appropriate dress in Iran.

If I brought pictures that by my standards are modest but by theirs are not, would this be likely to cause a problem? Would they be confiscated?

Also, if I may piggyback this post to ask more general questions... you who have been there - was it worth the risk? Did you ever feel unsafe? Were you harassed by government officials? Did you have a hard time getting a visa? Was the general political climate when you went substantially different than it is now?

Thanks a million!
sairen42
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Iran - photos from home?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I haven't been to Iran but I have been to a predominantly Muslim country and I'd caution against showing pictures of you in less than appropriate dress. If you can't find pictures that show you dressed appropriately than I would think you should stick to scenery. I was in Egypt a couple of years ago and even though I'm in my early 50's I drew a lot of unwanted/disapproving attention just on the fact that my long-ish hair was uncovered and I was wearing pants, not a dress. I was very careful to always wear long sleeves, long pants, and no low-necked shirts but there was still disapproval. And it didn't matter that my husband was with me, comments were made openly anyway. I don't imagine your pictures would be confiscated but they might not be met with the enthusiasm you are expecting.
It certainly didn't make me dislike Egypt, though. Don't get me wrong, I loved it there! I'm a tough old bird and comments can't put me off a place! Most people were overwhelmingly friendly, some are just very outspoken in their disapproval of western ways.
Hopefully someone who has been to Iran can comment on your other questions.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby marekwojtera » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 pm

We are also considering to take a trip to Iran, probably in May. We have already visited various countries in Middle East and North Africa and we love that area. Iran has been on our list for quite many years and if everything goes well, we will probably go there in few months.
Please check two very good links about Iran:
Photoshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9oIZpFFyIY
Documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D61uriEGsIM
marekwojtera

Postby Zuleika » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:02 am

Iran is a no go area for Brits at the moment, and also US citizens I believe.
I would advise you check your foreign office website very carefully for information before considering travel here, it seems there is a lot of unrest and anti-Brit/US feeling over there and we have been forced to pull out our Embassy which was attacked and set on fire a couple of months ago.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Africa and Middle East