Wildlife on Gorilla Treks

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Wildlife on Gorilla Treks

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Just out of curiousity (since I just booked my own gorilla trek this weekend for the end of April), other than the gorillas, what other wildlife, if any, did you encounter on the trek through the jungle?
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Wildlife on Gorilla Treks

Postby tletter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:14 pm

AdamfromCanada wrote:other than the gorillas, what other wildlife, if any, did you encounter on the trek through the jungle?

Not much (Parc National des Volcans, Rwanda) but we saw where a buffalo had bedded down. For us, it was only an hour’s hiking up the trail to where the trackers had located the gorilla group (your mileage may vary).
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:27 pm

I trekked Bwindi - and nope, no other wildlife to be seen. May have been because it was peeing down though! Although other treks the (sunny) day before didnt report any other sightings either though.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:10 pm

we were told there were small bush elephants, but you rarely see them. we saw sign of them but not actually any actual animals. i did a 4.5hr trek in because we had to go PAST the tracker camp to get to our group...then another 4hrs out, we were barely out before dark, but all the other groups got lucky and the gorillas moved closer each day. there were not even any bugs until you got to right were the gorillas were hanging out...there was also lots of stinging nettle by the gorillas.
nikimarcotte

Postby guillaume87 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 am

Hi Guys

After having recently fallen in love with Gorillas all over again I had started to look into the Gorilla trekking tours in Rwanda, Uganda and Congo.

Then i read a bit about Dian Fossey who seemed to be against tourists as Gorillas can catch flu etc.

But then....on her site it advertises and mentions winners of treks...that the foundation have sent people on

It seems indisputable that tourism has saved the gorillas. Rwanda went through one of the worst civil wars and genocides in recent history in 1994 and the gorillas were more or less protected. There are really nasty wars going on in the same region of Congo and Uganda also and the gorillas persist. My impression is that the gorillas are recognized as an irreplaceable economic resource because of the tourism.

I would recommend the book "In the Kingdom of Gorillas" by Bill Weber and Amy Vedder. They are ecologists who worked with Dian Fossey and fought with her over the need to set up ecotourism in order to conserve the gorillas and their ecosystem. The book records the history of how and why gorilla tourism was set up and how it is working.
Last edited by TravelFun on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: External links removed.
guillaume87
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Africa and Middle East