Cape Town to Zanzibar ?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cape Town to Zanzibar ?

Postby jitsketje » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Travellers,

I am considering to do Cape Town to Zanzibar trip in july/august 2012 with Gap.
Does anyone had experience with this trip? (Ore maybe a part of this trip?).
How is Gap with the overland african experience?
How is the route?
Do you recommend an overland trip (with gap)?
Any tips and advice on what to do, bring, see ectera..

Hope to hear from you.
Thanks.
Jitske.
jitsketje
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cape Town to Zanzibar ?

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 pm

I did Nairobi to Jo'burg with GAP in July 2009 so went over a portion of the trip you are considering and heard about the rest from people we hooked up with in Livingston.

First, GAP does a wonderful job with the overland experience. If you look at my past posts, I compared GAP's overland truck with some of the others I saw on the road and there's really no comparison. GAP by far had the best overland trucks we saw -- and some of the best guides (or CEOs in GAP's parlance).

The route is splendid -- a very good cross-section of Africa. The route you're considering will allow you to see the coasts of South Africa, desert of Namibia, swamp in Botswana, safari parkland and Vic Falls in Zambia, Lake Malawi and hills of Tanzania as well as the island of Zanzibar. Quite a spectacular mix of scenery and cultures.

As far as tips and advice on what to do or bring ... gosh, I've answered that question so many times I ought to just work up a webpage. First, read GAP's brochure in Trip Details and pay particular attention to what they tell you to bring and not bring. Second, take the best camera you can afford and at least twice the memory you think you'll need as well as spare batteries. Take clothing that will wash and dry quickly as you will often only have overnight to let it dry. Plan on mixing and matching your clothing for variety so you really only have 4 outfits in all but can mix them up in different combinations.

Don't worry about mattresses, mosquito netting, etc., GAP's tents and foam mattresses are more than adequate but make sure you have a good quality, very compressible sleeping bag, probably rated to 5C. You can pick up snacks and water easily as there are frequent stops for groceries or snacks.

Bring something to do on long road trips -- something to read, a notebook to write in (bearing in mind the road is sometimes pretty bumpy), music to listen to, etc.

Above all else, bring your enthusiasm and joie de vivre -- it's a great way to spend a month!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby katiebum4 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:08 pm

My brother and I recently did a tour from Kampla to Vic Falls. The tour from Kampala to Zanzibar was awesome. The Tour from Zanzibar to Vic Falls wasn't as exciting. We had an awesome group but there isn't much along the way. Lake Malawi was very nice and the campsites were great. I wish we would have flown from Zanz/Dar Es to Livingstone and continued on from there. We had a lot of long travel days between Zanz and Livingstone. My suggestion would end in Vic Falls and fly to Dar Es/Zanzibar and do a tour to Nairobi. That way you see the Serengeti and Crater. We were very happy with Gap, they are a great company to travel with. MAKE SURE you bring a head lamp, one thing we didn't bring and we were so disappointed. Also, we brought some of our fav candies with us.
katiebum4

Postby mimosa123 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Can I ask here my question too? I have considered trips between Cape Town to Zanzibar and Cape Town to Nairobi. I think that i would like to be a little bit longer time in Zanzibar because i love sun and water activities but would also like to travel all the way to Nairobi. Is there time during this trip enjoy the sun and bathing? One possibility is take a flight from Nairobi back to Dar es salaam, but not sure if i like to do it that way. Or is the any beach place near to Nairobi where i could continue after the trip?
mimosa123

Postby jitsketje » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Mine idea is to end the tour in Zanzibar and stay there a few more days and then fly back home.
Because I want a few more days to relax before going home and start University again.
jitsketje

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:34 pm

mimosa123 wrote:Can I ask here my question too? I have considered trips between Cape Town to Zanzibar and Cape Town to Nairobi. I think that i would like to be a little bit longer time in Zanzibar because i love sun and water activities but would also like to travel all the way to Nairobi. Is there time during this trip enjoy the sun and bathing? One possibility is take a flight from Nairobi back to Dar es salaam, but not sure if i like to do it that way. Or is the any beach place near to Nairobi where i could continue after the trip?

You get four days in Zanzibar, 2 in Stone Town, 2 at the beach. I found the 4 days to be about sufficient to meet my needs and really, you don't want to miss experiences like the Sheldrick Animal Orphanage or Giraffe Center (although they require an extra day in Nairobi). You will also get 2 days of sun and water in Malawi and 2-3 in Livingston. I wouldn't end the trip in Zanzibar.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby mimosa123 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Thank you. You're right, i don't wanna miss anything of that trip. I solved that now that way, that i'm going to begin my trip from Nairobi and end it to Cape town and then have few extra days in Cape town. I think the beaches there are also good for me. At least i can book hostel or hotel with the pool :D
mimosa123

Return to Africa and Middle East