Best Countries for Safaris

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Best Countries for Safaris

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:48 pm

kuunsirppi wrote:Hey,
I don't know if anybody are reading this anymore, but I have a plan to go to a safari in a couple years, and I have some questions without answer.

I've been thinking to go to Kenya, so can anyone tell me something about G Aventure's safari trips to there? Are they fine?

I would probably travel alone to Kenya for the safari, and I know it's maybe not the best alternative, but is it totally unsafe or could I do it (I'm a young woman) by myself? And how safe it is to take a taxi, for example from the airport to the hotel or a some place where the safari stars?

It would help me so much, if someone can answer to my questions :) I'm sorry if there already is an answer to my questions in this topic, but at this moment I haven't had time enought to read all of the answers.

I've been to Kenya twice and you will be fine travelling there as long as you're smart. Don't go wandering around by yourself, especially in Nairobi, especially at night.

If you join a tour, then you'll have lots of people with you, and you aren't likely to have any problems.

I have had a pick-up from the airport both times I've been there. I've heard that taxi service is pretty reliable, but from a convenience point of view, it has been nice to get to the airport and have someone there waiting for me. It does cost a little more, well, possibly a lot more, since I think the cost is around $35 or something for pickup with G Adventures and you probably can get a taxi in to town for a fraction of that. But it does mean a little peace of mind.

On both of my Kenyan tours (One with GAP, one with another company) there have been solo travellers. You make friends quickly and you're sharing a pretty incredible experience so it's not a big problem. Even shy people usually thrive, in my experience.

Things I'd figure out when picking a tour:
1) Where do you want to go? There's a lot of options in Kenya to go on safari, and it's worth a bit of a read to see what's going on in various parks at various points of the year (ie. in August-October, the Wildebeest Migration is in the Masai Mara).
2) What kind of vehicle do you want to travel in? I am of the belief that the overland vehicles are a poor choice for safaris and much prefer 4x4s or the 4WD minivans with the pop-top roofs. However, the large overlanders are good for meeting as many people on the tour as possible and are probably better for covering long distances on rough roads.
3) What kind of accommodations? The basic tours are tent camping where you'll get to set up your own tent, but there's other levels if you're willing to spend a little more.

I hope that's helpful!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kuunsirppi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

AdamfromCanada wrote:
kuunsirppi wrote:Hey,
I don't know if anybody are reading this anymore, but I have a plan to go to a safari in a couple years, and I have some questions without answer.

I've been thinking to go to Kenya, so can anyone tell me something about G Aventure's safari trips to there? Are they fine?

I would probably travel alone to Kenya for the safari, and I know it's maybe not the best alternative, but is it totally unsafe or could I do it (I'm a young woman) by myself? And how safe it is to take a taxi, for example from the airport to the hotel or a some place where the safari stars?

It would help me so much, if someone can answer to my questions :) I'm sorry if there already is an answer to my questions in this topic, but at this moment I haven't had time enought to read all of the answers.

I've been to Kenya twice and you will be fine travelling there as long as you're smart. Don't go wandering around by yourself, especially in Nairobi, especially at night.

If you join a tour, then you'll have lots of people with you, and you aren't likely to have any problems.

I have had a pick-up from the airport both times I've been there. I've heard that taxi service is pretty reliable, but from a convenience point of view, it has been nice to get to the airport and have someone there waiting for me. It does cost a little more, well, possibly a lot more, since I think the cost is around $35 or something for pickup with G Adventures and you probably can get a taxi in to town for a fraction of that. But it does mean a little peace of mind.

On both of my Kenyan tours (One with GAP, one with another company) there have been solo travellers. You make friends quickly and you're sharing a pretty incredible experience so it's not a big problem. Even shy people usually thrive, in my experience.

Things I'd figure out when picking a tour:
1) Where do you want to go? There's a lot of options in Kenya to go on safari, and it's worth a bit of a read to see what's going on in various parks at various points of the year (ie. in August-October, the Wildebeest Migration is in the Masai Mara).
2) What kind of vehicle do you want to travel in? I am of the belief that the overland vehicles are a poor choice for safaris and much prefer 4x4s or the 4WD minivans with the pop-top roofs. However, the large overlanders are good for meeting as many people on the tour as possible and are probably better for covering long distances on rough roads.
3) What kind of accommodations? The basic tours are tent camping where you'll get to set up your own tent, but there's other levels if you're willing to spend a little more.

I hope that's helpful!

Thank you very much, this helps me a lot! :)
kuunsirppi
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 pm

A good site to read up on the various places for safari would be Africa Travel Resource, http://www.africatravelresource.com/. I'm not trying to advertise their site (as you can book with them) but for reading up on the various areas. They also have guides that tell you about the wildlife etc. Very good resource! You may also want to check out the Trip Advisor forum for ideas, http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ListForums-g6 ... frica.html.

There are so many options for a good safari. I would definitely read up as much as you can, determine a budget, then go from there.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby kuunsirppi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm

DanielBMe wrote:A good site to read up on the various places for safari would be Africa Travel Resource, http://www.africatravelresource.com/. I'm not trying to advertise their site (as you can book with them) but for reading up on the various areas. They also have guides that tell you about the wildlife etc. Very good resource! You may also want to check out the Trip Advisor forum for ideas, http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ListForums-g6 ... frica.html.

There are so many options for a good safari. I would definitely read up as much as you can, determine a budget, then go from there.

Thanks, I have to check those sites :)
kuunsirppi

Previous

Return to Africa and Middle East