Advice - Plet to Cape Town, Vic Falls & Joburg

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Advice - Plet to Cape Town, Vic Falls & Joburg

Postby scottishadam » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 am

Hi guys and gals,

Would love some tips on any of these places.

Arrive Plettenburg Bay on Mon 26th Dec.
- Have a car and and plan to see a bit of the local area before heading to Cape Town by the 30th/31st. Anything worth seeing on route/which roads to drive to Cape Town?

Cape Town
- Equally any tips for what to do? I have a ticket already for the Robben Island tour and will go up Table Mountain. Also plan to see the Minstrel festival in the morning of the 2nd. Any other good tours/places to visit/experiences?

Windhoek to Vic falls
I fly to Namibia on the 2nd Jan and on the 4th jump on an overland to Vic Falls finishing 11th.

Joburg
- I fly out in the evening of the 14th as would quite like to see Soweto, Apartheid Museum and Pretoria. I know it prob not going to be the highlight of my tour but it's a different side of the country.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Adam

I'll be arriving in Windhoek on the afternoon of the 2nd if anyone is around and up for a beer. Will be in Cape Town 29th - 2nd as well.

Also be be grateful for any recommendations of what to do on the Garden Route, from Plettenberg Bay to Cape Town (will be driving), Cape Town itself and after Vic Falls. I fly out of Joburg in the evening on Sat 14th so have two days to burn either around Vic Falls or JoBurg.

See you down under,

(Scottish) Adam
scottishadam
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Advice - Plet to Cape Town, Vic Falls & Joburg

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 pm

When I was in Cape Town, I went on a day tour to Boulder's Beach and Cape Point. Pretty good day trip, we saw penguins, baboons, ostrich, and an eland.

Several of the people from my tour went to Table Mountain and said that was great, and one girl went on an excursion to find great white shark. That sounded amazing and if I had it to do over, I'd go an extra day early to check that out. I also was sorry to have missed Robben Island, which I think would be a fascinating (if sobering) side trip.

When in Windhoek, I did laundry. A brother-in-law of mine lived in the city for a few months and said that there was very little in terms of tourist attractions around the town. Having been on the road for about 10 days at that point, it was good to relax there a little.

Livingstone, Zambia has all sorts of things however and you wouldn't be remiss to spend a day or so there. We took an elephant safari through Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, others in the group did bungee jumps, whitewater rafting, a walk with lions, etc. Oh, and there's the Falls of course. We were there in Aug/Sept, so it was dry season, but even then the Falls were spectacular. I'd recommend crossing in to Zimbabwe, despite the expensive border crossing, just to check out the Falls from that side. Much better views than on the Zambian side.

Have a fantastic trip. It's a wonderful part of the world, and certainly an area I hope to get back to some day.

Here's my photo journal of the trip:

http://adammallonphotography.com/my-adventures/southern-africa-2009/
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kateyb » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 am

i would recommend the trip out to Cape Point/Boulders Beach while in Cape Town too. I did the shark cage diving tour as well which was pricey but worth it!

Victoria Falls demands a few days as there is so much to do there. I spent 4 days there and they were busy ones. I did the helicopter tour, lion encounter, elephant back safari and toured both Zambian and Zimbabwe sides. I agree with Adam that the Zimbabwe side is much nicer.
kateyb

Postby gaja » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:59 pm

When driving from Plet to CT, I'd recommend a stop in Wilderness. It is a nice village directly at the coast with beautiful beaches and great nature around. You could go hiking e.g. or just enjoy yourself.
Leave the N2 at Bot River and take the R43/R44 towards Somerset West instead. It's a beautiful coast road offering really inpressive viewpoints and nice coastal villages (like Gordon's Bay).

Some additional possibilities in CT to the ones already described in this thread would be the following:
Just get to know the city; visit the CBD, Bo Kaap, the Waterfront, Constantia Winelands, Camps Bay, Hout Bay and (as already mentioned) the Cape Peninsula and the Cape of Good Hope. Take the Chapman's Peak drive, you'll not regret it! ;)
If you're interested in, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens is a really nice place. Im not sure if the summer concerts are already on, but nonetheless it's really beautiful.
If you've got some time left, drive to Stellenbosch, Franschoek and Paarl. Nice winefarms and beautiful Cape-Dutch architecture. I personally like Stellenbosch most, there's a big university.
Just something from my personal experience.
Enjoy your trip!!
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby scottishadam » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 am

Thank you so much for your advice. If anyone has some things to add please do.

Many thanks

Adam
scottishadam

Return to Africa and Middle East