Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - Power to recharge?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - Power to recharge?

Postby tracylee » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 pm

We are off on the Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari in late Dec/Jan and I’m worried we will not be able to charge our camera batteries as we are camping with limited or no power in most places (going off our trip notes).

If anyone has done this trip and knows how we will go with power options that would be great?
and if there is not much around, could we buy a car charger and ask our driver to help us charge?

Any guidance would be appreciated. T.
tracylee
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - Power to recharge?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm

I did the Kenya/Tanzania Wildlife Adventure in July this year. Although some campsites had no power they did fire up a generator for a couple of hours in the evening to charge batteries, except for Samburu if you are going there. Additionally, the vans/jeeps had power outlets for us to charge. These were limited so we worked it out amongst ourselves as to who had the greatest need for charging. Try to set your camera for the smallest power need ahead of time. We managed to have ours set so that although on highest it needed charging every two hours at home ( :o ), we got a full day or more on its best setting while away!
Enjoy, it was a fabulous trip!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby lesliew » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 pm

I went on the Tanzania Camping safari in October and most of the campsites had places to charge, however the number of outlets was greatly limited (keep in mind there will be other people at the campsites besides just your group). The charger in our vehicle was broken. I think everyone in our group was able to charge at some point so they never ran out of a battery, but I would suggest taking a backup battery to save yourself the hassle. I took two backup batteries just to be safe, so I never had to recharge while I was there. It was nice not to worry about waiting around to get a spot to charge my battery.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby woychukb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 pm

You might also want to bring a small power bar or extension cord so that you even if the outlets are full you can just add on to it. Of course most of the available outlets are already somewhat overloaded so it's not without its risks.
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby tracylee » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:11 am

Many thanks for all your replies guys. Cheers T.
tracylee

Return to Africa and Middle East