Foreign women's security in Egypt

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Foreign women's security in Egypt

Postby zzchristianzz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi,

Just seen a show on tv where a woman news correspondant stated that since Moubarak left the presidency, security of foreign woman, specially western women might be in jeopardy mostly due to the police force lack of protection for visitors. I will be in Cairo next week with a woman friend of mine and any take on this issue will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Christian
zzchristianzz
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Foreign women's security in Egypt

Postby leahlovestravel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:06 am

I can't speak to how things have changed over the last year but I felt safe when I was there last November. Obviously, take the safety precautions you would in any city.
The first day I was in Cairo by myself and I had the hotel negotiate with a taxi driver for me who spent the day driving me around for an agreed price. I did some wandering in Coptic Cairo and visited the Citadel and some mosques and never had reason to feel concerned. The driver would drop me off and come back for me at pre-arranged times.
Have an amazing time!
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Africa and Middle East