Sleeping Bag Rating for East Africa?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping Bag Rating for East Africa?

Postby starz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:55 am

Hi All,

I am travelling through East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda & Rwanda - Note: I am NOT doing the Kilmanjaro trek) over December & January and need to purchase a sleeping bag for my trip. Can anyone give me advice on which rating sleeping bag I will need for the evening +10, +5, 0, -5.

Thanks!
starz
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sleeping Bag Rating for East Africa?

Postby ballu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 am

It got cooler than I expected it to...I'd personally say 0, but I like a cozy sleeping environment.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I agree with Ballu. Ours were rated -7 and we definitely needed them at Ngorongoro Crater! Although, for the rest of Kenya and Tanzania they were too warm so I think the 0 is a better choice.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby major » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Don't know when you folks traveled, but remember December is in the middle of Summer in E. Africa -- and you are close to the equator. I went in September and was plenty warm in all places in Kenya/Tanzania -- didn't zip up most of the time. Was comfortable in Crater as well. Think my bag was rated to zero....but didn't really need it. September would be Northern Hemisphere early spring........so plan accordingly! Also, you will have sleeping pad which insulates from ground! Enjoy! it was a wonderful experience. I did K/T Overland basic camping - had a blast!
sedonaboots
major
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Zuleika » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:55 pm

There is no summer/winter as we know it because East Africa is right on the equator. But instead the wet or the dry! Its usually hot until you go high.
I had 0 for Kenya and Tanzania and only really need it in the Crater which is high.
But Uganda is higher colder and wetter - you will need yr bag here for sure. I had a -7 bag for Uganda (separate trip) and needed it as hate to be cold at night. Other wise take a sleepsheet and sleep on top of bag for extra padding in the warm countrys - no probs.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby tletter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:44 pm

starz wrote:I am travelling through East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda & Rwanda ... I will need for the evening +10, +5, 0, -5.

We did these four countries in the July-August time period and found that at times a warm sleeping bag was required. For example it was very cold at Lushoto in the Usambara Mountains situated in the northeastern part of Tanzania. In fact, it was so cold that to stay warm, we had to wear our clothes and toques inside our sleeping bags. Depending on where you're going in East Africa, I'd either opt for a 0-rated sleeping bag and sleep on top of it if you're too warm or bring a +5-rated bag and be prepared to wear clothes inside the bag on the rare occasion when required.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:17 am

It depends what areas you are visiting. As Zuleika said, East Africa is basically on the equator so "summer" and "winter" don't really have much meaning. I found that I basically slept on top of the sleeping bag rather than in it when near sea level but it was a lot cooler when I was up at altitude like at Ngorongoro Crater.

My bag is rated for 20F so about -5C. I would think you would need no more than 0 C and you'd probably be good with a +5 bag if you're not going to be in the mountains.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Africa and Middle East