Dar es Salaam Connection Time?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Dar es Salaam Connection Time?

Postby darlinggirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:09 pm

My trip ends in Zanzibar and I stupidly booked my flight home from Dar es Salaam, thinking I would take the ferry back to the mainland and a taxi to the airport. Then when I started looking at the ferry times/cost + taxi time/cost + the fact I get seasick easily (the ferry ride back is supposed to be quite rough) it has got me concerned. I can't change my original ticket so it looks like I'll have to book a flight to Dar from Stone Town - which is coming in at less than $100 (bonus!).

I'm just concerned about the flight being delayed or cancelled as that seems to be quite common on regional African airlines. Fly540 and Coastal Air seem to have the best prices, Precision is 3rd...has anyone flown with any of these airlines and can offer any experience? My flight leaving Dar is at 740pm so can anyone wager a guess at how much time I should leave to make my connecting flight, accounting for possible delays, getting my bags, exiting, rechecking in, etc....

Thanks so much! I'm pretty nervous about this mistake!
darlinggirl
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Dar es Salaam Connection Time?

Postby btomlin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I would normally say at least three hours in between flights that are on two seperate tickets, but in an area where regional flights are often cancelled or delayed, I would look at the 3 - 5 hour window.
Also, check with a travel agent or an insurance provider to see if you can purchase trip interupption insurance. Many insurance companies will cover the costs of a new ticket if your flight is delayed causing you to miss your next flight, even if they are on seperate tickets, as long as you have trip interupption coverage.
Have a fabulous trip!
btomlin

Postby darlinggirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks so much! I'll definitely look into trip interruption insurance :)

Has anyone flown with either Fly540, Coastal or Precision and could offer their experiences with them? On time? Safety? etc...
darlinggirl

Postby francine_16 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 pm

I flew precision from Stone Town to Zanzibar. Flight got off on time. I was a little freaked out seeing the plane. The plane sat maybe 10 people. It was a shortflight, but I could not wait to land because I had never been on such a small plane. The plane ride was uneventful.
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East