Abu Simbel cost

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Abu Simbel cost

Postby zzchristianzz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am

Hi,

Will be on the Absolute Egypt tour mid november and was hoping to hear from anyone who did the tour and took the Abu Simbel optional excursion. The cost suggested in the Gap's trip detail seems way above what it might actually cost, they suggest between $85-$100US depending on the size of the group. Other site on the net suggest something like $30.

Many thanks
Christian
zzchristianzz
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Abu Simbel cost

Postby tletter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:28 am

zzchristianzz wrote:The cost suggested in the Gap's trip detail seems way above what it might actually cost, they suggest between $85-$100US depending on the size of the group. Other site on the net suggest something like $30.

The GAP price includes guided tour by CEO , private air-conditioned transport, entrance fees and tipping, does your $30 trip include the same? We took the GAP option tour to Abu Simbel which had a convenience factor as well.

However you do have to watch out for the cost of some activities. For example, I felt that our contracted CEO overcharged us when we opted for a balloon flight at Luxor. This flight was not listed as one of the optional activities so he arranged it.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby onyx007 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:35 am

I was not with GAP in Egypt but as "tletter" wrote the cost for a private tour might be that high and the more people do the trip the cheaper it gets for everyone.

The 30 Dollar-Trip is probably the same as I did back in 2006.
That's a big bus travelling with dozens of other big busses early in the morning at around 5 or 6 am.
You are at the site with about 500-700 other people, spend a couple of hours there and drive then back, without any guided tour or anything.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Abu Simbel cost

Postby zzchristianzz » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:52 am

Hi,

I got more precise figures from Kelaney hotel 170LE ($28) for bus and entrance fee at Abu Simbel, no guide. Sara hotel offers trip on private A/C bus + entrance fee for 240LE ($40) without any guide. Concerning the lenght of the trip, they are all the same including GAP, 5 hrs travel time and around 2hrs visiting time. I am usually not too concern regarding travel cost realizing that a profit must be made along the way, but still, i do find the "gap" between local fees and GAP offer quite large!

Christian
zzchristianzz

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

I have done the excursion to Abu Simbel and I would go with GAP for safety. It's a long, lonely ride down to Abu Simbel and we found many drivers driving well above any reasonable speed limit, and minus headlights in the darkness as well. One of the things you get with companies like this is a concern for your well-being. There are a lot of accidents due to driving errors there, we were happy to pay a little more for the security of a company based outside Egypt that understood road safety, and taught that to its drivers.

You'll understand when you get there. :shock:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sonictrip » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:39 am

I just noticed when doing the booking for the trip, it gives you the option of booking Abu Simbel (and also the valley of kings balloon ride) just wondering if you didn't pay for it now , can you still purchase this option during the trip ? Just asking as I have already booked and payed for everything through a travel agent and wasn't told about pre buying the option of Abu Simbel.

Thanks
sonictrip
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby tletter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am

sonictrip wrote:just wondering if you didn't pay for it now , can you still purchase this option during the trip ?

We booked and paid for all options directly with the CEO on tour. It would be a major change if you can't do it. In any event I'd suggest that you ask GAP and let us know their response.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter

Postby mark40 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 am

thenk you
good posts
you nice posts
mark40