South Africa or Tanzania in January?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

South Africa or Tanzania in January?

Postby kaaren » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 am

Hello.

I have never been to Africa before and are now planning on going there this January. I am considering the trip called South Afica Encompassed which I were about to book when I found out that it can be very hard to spot any animals in the parks of South Africa in January. Is it a waste of time to visit the game reserves in January ? :|

Should I travel to Tanzania instead, it seems like the weather there is better in January than in South Africa. But it is also a bit more expensive :|

Animals is not the only thing I am interested in, but since I have never been to Africa it would be a shame not to see any ..

Thank you ..

- Karen
kaaren
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: South Africa or Tanzania in January?

Postby darlinggirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Karen,
I've been struggling with this exact same thing!

During my research I've found out that January is great for gameviewing in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania so I think I'm going to do the Kenya and Uganda Gorilla Adventure (DKKU) and then expand on my own in Tanzania down to Zanzibar. Yes, it is definitely more expensive than Southern Africa, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Let me know what you're thinking :)
darlinggirl
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kaaren » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Wow! Sounds like a great trip :)

My conclusion, from what I can read on the internet, is the same as yours: that Tanzania is way better than South Africa in January.
I think I will save South Africa for another time and maybe take the Kenya and Tanzania Overland (DKTO) and expand it with a short visit to Zanzibar by combining it with Zanzibar Discovery (TDTZDN) or else I will take the Tanzania Encompassed (DTTE).

So basically I have decided to go to Tanzania instead :)
kaaren

Postby rrjz » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 am

Hello - I was just reading your posts. Have either of you considered the DUEA trip. It covers all three countries you have mentioned. Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania. I am booked on the Jan 23 tour. This is also my first trip to Africa and January seemed the best time to visit these three countries. Hope you both have a great time on your trips, whichever ones you have picked.
Ryan
rrjz
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby rrjz » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 am

Hello - I was just reading your posts. Have either of you considered the DUEA trip. It covers all three countries you have mentioned. Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania. I am booked on the Jan 23 tour. This is also my first trip to Africa and January seemed the best time to visit these three countries. Hope you both have a great time on your trips, whichever ones you have picked.
Ryan

rrjz

Postby darlinggirl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Ryan,
I did look at the DUEA trip...and what I actually ended up doing was booking DKKU with G and a Nairobi to Zanzibar trip with Intrepid. I'll have 3 days in between to hang out in Nairobi and the entire trip with both companies is 30 days (as opposed to 21). The difference in price is only $200 (and that includes taxis, and 4 nights extra accommodation) so I figured for an extra week it's totally worth it!

Intrepid has a bit of a different itinerary than G, but it's a very similar trip.
darlinggirl

Postby kaaren » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 am

Hello Ryan.
I also looked at the DUEA and loved it! But sadly both departures in January was already fully booked when I read about the trip.
kaaren

Postby rrjz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Hello darlinggirl
Glad you have found what sounds like a great trip. The extra time will be awesome. I am jealous. lol I also looked at Intrepid but decided to go with G adventures because there was a local headquarters in the city I live in. It was important to me that I was able to talk to people about the trip in person. They have since closed that location, but I am still happy with my choice. Enjoy your trip. I know I am looking forward to mine. The time is coming up so fast.
Ryan

Hello kaaren
If you haven't booked anything yet keep an eye on the site, I have noticed random openings for Jan 23 open up. They don't last long but there was one just last week. Otherwise I hope you have a great time on any trip you choose. I agree with darlinggirl check out intrepid.
Ryan
rrjz

Return to Africa and Middle East