Southern Africa for Christmas!

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Southern Africa for Christmas!

Postby davetherave » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Good evening!

I am planning a trip to Southern Africa over Christmas.
I have 2 weeks from 23rd Dec through to the 7th of January for my trip.
I am fairly fit, love the outdoors, cycling, hiking, camping, surfing, love wildlife, beautiful scenery & meeting new people.
Up until now I have researched a few trips;
1) The Garden Route from Durban to Capetown.
2) A trip from Victoria Falls and down the Mozambique coast.
3) A safari trip inland to Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park, Kruger etc...

As my time is limited, I am tied down to a few trips;which is probably a good thing as it ties down my choices.

Which area would you visit given the dates I have?

A GAP trip which does interest me is the Delta & Falls Experience:http://www.gadventures.com/trips/delta-and-falls-experience/DCW/2011/

I was thinking I could fly to Capetown for a couple of days and then join this tour in Windhoek.

I would appreciate all and any feedback!

Thank you,

Dave
davetherave
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Southern Africa for Christmas!

Postby shawroden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 am

I did the Delta and falls trip in November 2009. It was absolutely awesome and I wholly recommend it especially getting to camp in the Delta. However, my only reservation with your dates is that when we went it was starting to become the rainy season. We weren't able to see the Magkawdikadi salt pans as the rain makes it impossible to drive on the salt. We were lucky with everything else but bear in mind that it is more difficult to view wildlife in the wet season. The falls in my opinion were still great at that time of year.

After our trip in Botswana we flew to Cape Town, spent a few days there and on the garden route (in my opinion a trip to cape point along the coast was as good as the garden route if you're pushed for time). We had great weather.

Last year my brother spent the week before Christmas driving from Durban to Cape Town and spent Christmas in Cape Town. He had a superb time with fantastic weather. Hotels etc were a little more expensive though.

I'm afraid I haven't been to Mozambique but I hope my comments help a little.
shawroden
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby davetherave » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 am

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply: I appreciate it!
That is interesting about the rainy season and the salt flats...but it seems when you travel the weather will always affect something on the itinerary: so no worries!

What do you think of a combo of Capetown first, for a few days, followed by the Delta & Falls Trip?

My other option is to just tour the entire Garden Route for 2 weeks...is meant to be very nice but not as 'authentic' as the Delta & Falls?

Thanks so much!

Dave
davetherave

Postby georginal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Dave

Just thought I'd put in my 2 pence worth as I was in that part of the world for November to January last year.

I travelled through the Garden Route over 2 1/2 weeks last Nov/Dec as part of a longer trip, ending up in Cape Town for a Gap Trip departing Cape Town on the 14th December. I used the Bazbus and this was definately one if you want to do it fairly slowly. BUT the seats are quite hard which is a major drawback. On my way through ther Garden Route I did bump into a few backpackers doing the trip up to Mozambique, so its definately a doable option.

You could take a couple of stops on the Garden Route and then head up towards Mozambique as a DIY option. There are bus options - I'd look at Intercape buses as they cover a lot of ground quite quickly and I believe overnight options as well. Then you could fly back to Cape Town from Mozambique. Mozambique is definately on my to do list at somepoint!

Its a great time to go for activities, Game Spotting wise, not so great. (although we had a really good day game spotting in Chobe) If you decide to go over Christmas, make sure you book your accommodation in good time, its a very popular time to go for visitors, and for Southern Africans headed home for Christmas.

Enjoy!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East