Tanzania trips - single woman traveling alone

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tanzania trips - single woman traveling alone

Postby nikoleandmark » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 am

Hello,

I really really really want to hike Kilimanjaro and have enjoyed going through gap (g, whatever) in the past. My question is for anyone that has done any of the trips that included Kilimanjaro, what is travel like in the country. I am a single woman and have some obvious concerns about traveling alone in any foreign country. I have done a bit of solo traveling in Europe & North America and was fine with it. Anyways, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicole
nikoleandmark
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tanzania trips - single woman traveling alone

Postby lesliew » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I am a single woman and just returned from a G trip to Tanzania....my advice is DO IT! :) The trip was amazing. I didn't climb Kilimanjaro, I just did the Tanzania Wildlife Experience safari trip, but it was fabulous. Several in my group had just climbed Kilimanjaro before our leg of the trip. As for Tanzania, I felt very safe the entire time. I arrived on my own and paid extra to have someone from G pick me up at the airport because it was nighttime. However, the Kilimanjaro airport is really not that scary (it's very small). As long as you follow the general safety tips (don't flaunt money or expensive items, don't walk alone at night, take a cab arranged by your hotel) you should be fine.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I did a G trip to East Africa this summer and one of the women in the Tanzania portion, a tourist from Germany, had hiked Kili before starting with us. She had booked through another company for the hike and it turned out she was the only tourist on her hike. There were five support staff with her! She said she never felt afraid being the only tourist on the hike, mostly just embarrassed that she needed so many people to achieve her goal! She said it was wonderful and had no regrets.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby francine_16 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I am a single woman and in January of last year I climbed Killimanjaro. I did the Tanzania Encompassed trip. I think it can be nerve racking when you first arrive in Africa as a single woman. However, soon as the tour starts your not on your own. It is an amazing trip. The memories of climbing Killi you will have for a lifetime. Just go for it.
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Africa and Middle East