late night taxi in Nairobi

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

late night taxi in Nairobi

Postby jolene_ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 am

Hi you all,

In 2 weeks I go to Kenya and Uganda for my Gap-trip. My plane arrives at 23.00 and I was wondering if it was safe to take a taxi on my own. I'm a 22years old girl travelling alone... So I don't know if I need to worry and book the gap-service to pick me up at the airport?

Can someone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance
Jolene
jolene_
User Rank: Traveller

Re: late night taxi in Nairobi

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 am

I'm an older guy and took the GAP transfer. I was happy I did too. After a long @ss flight, as soon as I grabbed my luggage and walked out the arrivals gate, there was the GAP rep. Into the car and straight to the hotel. Nice and easy! After a long tiring flight it was just nice not to worry about anything. You'll be arriving at 11pm and then by the time you get your luggage it will probably be closer to midnight. Even though the transfer is a bit more expensive I'd go with it personally.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby btomlin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I agree with Daniel. For the extra money, I take the transfer so I know I dont have to stress about it. If you are really comfortable travelling in Africa, then maybe you are comfortable finding your own taxi to save a bit of money. But I know, I would be stressing about it the whole flight over, so its worth it to me!

Have a fantastic trip! I'm headed to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania in January.
btomlin

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Jomo Kenyatta Int'l Airport can be a shady place at all times of day, let alone around midnight. Best to arrange for the transfer and not have to deal with suspicious characters right out of the gate.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby jolene_ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Ok thank you guys!
I'll go to the office tomorrow to arrange that.
It's just... Last year I heard that some people were forgotten and needed to take the taxi eventhough they booked the gap-service.
If that is happening, I will stress out more than that I have to take the taxi right away.
jolene_

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

We arranged for a GAP transfer and were fortunate we did. Our flight landed at 2100 but our luggage didn't arrive with us from Paris. We were an extra couple of hours trying to navigate the unbelievable mess that is "baggage difficulties" at Jomo Kenyatta, but the GAP transfer guy waited for us. Not only that, he arranged to pick us up the next night and go back to the airport to see if our luggage arrived on the next scheduled flight from Paris. He knew all the details of how to get it quickly, to get us in behind security to find it, and got us back to the hotel afterwards. The airline will deliver the luggage to your hotel when it arrives but not exactly when it arrives, more like a day or two later when you will have long left on your tour!
He also was taking a group of early arrivals on a tour of Nairobi the day after our arrival so we joined that and saw what we wanted to see without having to worry about arranging taxis between places.

Jolene, be sure to write down the number for the GAP transfer guy from the Trip Details page. It will let you contact him if no one is there.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm

You're perfectly safe if you get one of the official taxis. What you need to be careful of are the gypsy cabs. There is a taxi association table between baggage claim and the door -- they can make sure you get an official taxi and even help direct you to currency exchange just outside the door.

I got a great exchange rate (frankly should have gotten more that night but I thought I might be getting ripped off) and the taxi to the Hotel Boulevard was cheaper than GAP's transfer.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby smhayward » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 am

I hope you've already booked your transfer! catching a taxi at night is just one more thing to worry about. It's well worth the $$- especially if this is your first trip to africa? I've used gap transfers before, and not had a trouble. If for some reason your person isn't there to pick you up, there should be a phone number in your trip details for you to call.
Have a great trip!
smhayward
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby mucka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 pm

I would agree that if you aren't comfortable then it is best to pay the extra money and book the airport tranfer.

unfortunately, two women on my tour had booked the GAP airport transfer but ended up having to take a taxi after midnight. There was apparently some issues times but the women eventually were reimbursed their transfer fees. it probably was an isolated incident. be sure to make note of the driver/contact person's name and phone number before you leave on your trip!

I was a solo female traveller to nairobi last year. I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (hotel boulevard) close to midnight. There's a transportation desk, as you exit the airport customs / baggage area, and they have book of hotels and fixed rates. You pay there and the person gives you a ticket. They call the driver to the desk and the driver takes you out to his car. You hold onto the receipt until you arrive at your destination. For me, it was a painless process -- but it definitely depends on your comfort level!

i would warn against going outside to find your own taxi. from experience, while trying to get around nairobi on my free days, i found they would try to take advantage of you and overcharge even after negotiating a price. you have to stand your ground.

good luck!
mucka

Postby jolene_ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 am

mucka wrote:I was a solo female traveller to nairobi last year. I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (hotel boulevard) close to midnight. There's a transportation desk, as you exit the airport customs / baggage area, and they have book of hotels and fixed rates. You pay there and the person gives you a ticket. They call the driver to the desk and the driver takes you out to his car. You hold onto the receipt until you arrive at your destination. For me, it was a painless process -- but it definitely depends on your comfort level!

I decided to try it on my one, so i dind't book the GAP-service. As you say, it's not that hard to find a decent taxi.
I've been in Nairobi last year (with a friend) so that should work.
I'm leaving on sunday, I'm excited!! :D

Thank you all for the great advise!
jolene_

Return to Africa and Middle East