Cape Town to Livingstone

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Cape Town to Livingstone

Postby kateyb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:00 am

I did the Dunes, Delta and Falls trip last March/early April and it was amazing. It rained a few times, but like bushkid says, it was very brief. Plus it was so nice to see a big thunderstorm and it made for beautiful pictures. I still saw lots of wildlife.

Victoria Falls was amazing and there was so much water at the falls! I took a helicopter ride over the falls as there was so much spray from the amount of water, the only way I would properly see the falls was from the air. I also went to the Zimbabwe side as you get better views.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby chi01 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:42 am

Hi :)

I am from Australia and will be doing the Southern African Adventure tour. After reading on here and the trip details it seems I could buy a 220-240 V, 50 hertz adaptor and that will work on the bus the entire time and in south africa?! Does everyone on the tour get their own powerpoint to plug their stuff into?

This is what I am reading for most of the countries visited in their destionation guides:

"South African/Indian-style plug with two circular metal pins above a large circular grounding pin"

I think I have a universal adaptor too at home, would this work, does anyone know?

finally, anyone know where these south african plugs can be bought?! maybe jb hifi/harvey norman (aussie stores :)) or maybe have to use a special travel shop?

chi01
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby clairew85 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 am

I bought mine in Dick Smith, but recon Harvey Norman will have them too, most electrical stores :D
clairew85
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby bkbkbkbk » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey! Unfortunatly im not lucky enough to do this long trip and have to chose between cape & dunes ( capetown to windhoek) or delta & falls experience (windhoek to livingstone).
You can understand probably why I'm having a real hard time chosing. Since you guys did the entire trip you can/want to help me? :)

Grts bieke
bkbkbkbk

Postby bushkid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Bieke,

Your choice might depend on whether you want to focus more on wildlife on more on scenery. Cape to Windhoek covers huge ground, and lots of different ecozones. Lots of diversity, but not that much wildlife. Namibia is, IMHO, the most beautiful country I've seen.

Botswana (Windhoek to Vic) tends to be more wildlife focused.

Both are fantastic trips.
bushkid
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby AdamfromCanada » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:39 pm

bkbkbkbk wrote:Hey! Unfortunatly im not lucky enough to do this long trip and have to chose between cape & dunes ( capetown to windhoek) or delta & falls experience (windhoek to livingstone).
You can understand probably why I'm having a real hard time chosing. Since you guys did the entire trip you can/want to help me? :)

Grts bieke

I did the whole dunes, delta and falls trip,but my girlfriend came for just the second half, going Windhoek to Livingstone. It is hard to go wrong either way, both halves of the trip are spectacular, but one thing to consider is that the trip really starts in Capetown whether you're there or not. We only had 4 people join us at Windhoek, which means that a lot of the group dynamics had already worked themselves out. It may be harder joining a group that's been together for several days already. The other side of that is that while you'll be seeing things for the first time, those with you on the trip will be less impressed by springboks and ostriches which are plentiful in Namibia. You may find that they aren't excited to stop for those animals.

If I were going to choose that leg (and the Delta really is spectacular) I'd find a trip starting from Livingstone.

As for which was better? I don't think I can choose.
Last edited by AdamfromCanada on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm

I agree with what Adam says too. There are plenty other great companies (sorry G!) out there that do loops in/out of Windhoek, and go just around the best parts of Namibia and Botswana which is all just one tour not part of a long trip where people get on and off - I always find it difficult when the group changes half way along, its never as good. Its a shame G don't seem to run any such trips as Im sure they'd be very popular.
And also the journey up to Namibia from Cape Town is a right old long, mainly boring, shlep and to be avoided imo.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Rainy season isn't necessarily bad. Remember that life unfolds when water is available so you'll get to see things that aren't available during the dry season. In addition, you can get some truly amazing landscape shots during storms and I find some cloud structure can make sunrises and sunsets even more spectacular.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby beckybush » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi,

I am joining this trip on March 3rd, anyone else?

Im very excited but was wondering if anyone can help me out? I am a single female traveller and am unsure as to how much money i need to take with me? Ive been a bit crap at saving! But I want to have the best experience I possibly can! Plus as a single traveller I constantly have to pay single supplements!
beckybush

Postby bkbkbkbk » Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 am

Hey guys,
I still wanted to thank you all for your replies (even if it was over a year ago) ;)
Decided to postpone so I could do the whole trip. Leaving 16th of june!

greets
Bieke
bkbkbkbk

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am

Congratulations. You are going to enjoy the heck out of it. It remains one of my favorite travel experiences ever.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Meal costs Cape Town to Livingstone October 2013

Postby steffany » Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Wondering how much money to set aside for meals. I have no idea of the costs of meals in SA/Namibia/Botswana and Zambia.
If anyone could give me a rough idea of lunches/dinners?
So looking forward to starting this trip.
steffany

Postby collywobbles » Thu May 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Steffany :D

You wont need a lot of money for food as most of your meals are included in the trip. The CEO does the shopping when you hit a town and usually stock up on supplies every 2 / 3 days. You will probably have to chip in to buy ice for the cool boxes and for the drinks cool box. We had some meals out the odd night we stayed over in a town ie swapkomund we stayed in A frame houses and we had our evening meal out. It was not too expensive . so food wise you wont need much. Extra activities you may want a good bit depends on what you want to do. You may want to buy your own drinks and snacks when you reach a town . We stopped at a few coffee shops for a break and some coffee . Hope this helps.

cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby bkbkbkbk » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Haa since the trip is coming closer I'm thinking about how much cash I should take with me. I won't spend time in cape town as I arrive pretty late at night. I'm also going to take my visa card. We get enough chances to get money? Also.. I got the airport pick up.. how much tip I should give? I'm never sure about that :)
bkbkbkbk

Postby collywobbles » Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi bkbkbkbk :D

There will be plenty of stops along the way to get money from atm machines. Once or twice I went into a bank to cash some dollars and one day the whole system was down so no money, I think that was in Windhok . At the airport plenty atm machines cant say about tips for airport pick up as mine never turned up and I had to arrange other transport. I was ok as I arrived in during the day. I also did not spend much time in cape town but the rand can be used in Namibia until you get local money. I brought some dollars and used my visa card at atms I think I brought about 800 dollars with me. enjoy the early morning canoeing on the orange river. and all the other activities . You an pay for optional activities with dollars or your visa card.

cheers :D
collywobbles

PreviousNext

Return to Africa and Middle East