Cape Town to Livingstone

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cape Town to Livingstone

Postby water lily » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:56 am

Just finished Dunes, Deltas and Falls camping trip - awesome!

Remember to carry some one and two dollar coins for the toilet stops along the way. (2 Rand)

There was a cool box on board so take your turn to buy ice and know that you can not put a 5L bottle of water in it. Bring a 1L bottle and refill it.

Bring a very small, thin lock to lock your locker under the seat on the truck.

Bring ear plugs and a head lamp/torch.

Please READ the trip info and 'what to pack'; if it says a sleeping bag then you have signed up for a camping trip!

You can recharge your batteries, iPhone etc on board the truck so bring your adapters.

Sit back, relax and enjoy.
water lily
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cape Town to Livingstone

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the tips, water lily. This kind of information really helps!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby megde34 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:24 am

Thank you so much for the tips! I am going on this tour leaving on December 1st and im so excited :)
megde34
User Rank: Weekender

Postby joejoe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Water Lily,

I am heading on that tour Nov 21. What type of adapter is needed to charge batteries on the truck?

Thx.
joejoe

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 pm

You can use either British 3-prong or British/European 2-prong adapters. I didn't have the British adapters with me but was able to use my 2-prong (round) adapters.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby megde34 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank for the info about the power adaptors

I read on the tour dossier that the bus is equipped with:
- Inverter for battery charging (South African plug - 220-240V)

So I went out and bought AUS - SA power adaptors! Should I get UK ones instead?

Thanks!
megde34

Postby kateyb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 pm

no you don't need the British adaptor, there are spots for the SA ones too and they are the ones that you would use in the hotels as well.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby collywobbles » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi Joejoe megde34
:D I did this trip last august its a fab trip hope you are going to try sandboarding down the dunes in namibia and dune buggy across the dunes also lion walk highly recommend it climbing dune 45 at 5am fantastic climb it bare foot much easier wont get weighted down with sand in shoes vry cold at to bring a fleece climbing waterberg plateau wear runners climbing lots rocks great views the delta was my favourite awsesome trip the mokoros are small but boy can they pack stuff into them the boat people choose who they want to go into their boats mine person was called gladys she was able to point out all the wild life in the delta she was great have posted some photos on flicker if you would like to see them of the trip dcf its http://ww.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles/
hope you can open link just to give you an idea of the trip capetown to livingstone set

enjoy have fun :)
collywobbles

Postby mai » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Water Lily
I am going on this trip in a short while, and I am really looking forward to go.
According to the trip info what to pack it says hiking boots/sturdy shoes. What is your recomendation?
Any other god tips for what to bring?
Can you use your creditcard along the way or do you need a bigger amount of cash?
I have been travelling in different parts of the world but never in the Southern Africa, so perhaps my questions may sound stupid.
Hope you can help with other good tips.
mai

Postby megde34 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Wow Collywobbles, thank you so much for your tips!

I am definely planning to try sandboarding aswell as the dune buggys and every other activitiy I have the option of doing.

Your photos on flickr are amazing! Those ones of Victoria Falls are incredible! Were you in a plane to take them?! Gosh every photo is superb! Especially the amimal shots. I really hope I take some photos are great as yours, I bought a new camera for my trip.

Thanks again for your post

collywobbles wrote:Hi Joejoe megde34
:D I did this trip last august its a fab trip hope you are going to try sandboarding down the dunes in namibia and dune buggy across the dunes also lion walk highly recommend it climbing dune 45 at 5am fantastic climb it bare foot much easier wont get weighted down with sand in shoes vry cold at to bring a fleece climbing waterberg plateau wear runners climbing lots rocks great views the delta was my favourite awsesome trip the mokoros are small but boy can they pack stuff into them the boat people choose who they want to go into their boats mine person was called gladys she was able to point out all the wild life in the delta she was great have posted some photos on flicker if you would like to see them of the trip dcf its http://ww.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles/
hope you can open link just to give you an idea of the trip capetown to livingstone set

enjoy have fun :)
megde34

Postby collywobbles » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:03 pm

:P Hi megde34

I was in a helicopter for the ones over vic falls its well worth doing that trip if you have any money left over they were fantastic the pilot went down left and then went right so people on both sides could take photos the ones withe the rainbow were taken when i went walking up the falls well worth seeing just b aware of the water spray when youhave your camera out it gets very wet i got drenched but i had a towel for my camera the wild life were taken at etosha the watering hole on the 1st is an amazing place for photos you could stay awake the whole night if you did not want sleep if you have a zoom lens for your camera use it you are on a truck and its out the windows you take photos while driving they will stop for you but you cant leave the truck the 3 lions were on the side of the road so was the lioness and cub we were very lucky to see them on the same day its amazing trip just keep snapping plenty memory cards and batteries 8)
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm

:lol:
oh yes do the lying down sandboarding its much more fun i hit speeds of 65/68km while zooming down the dunes you start with an easy one then the get higher but its great fun the standing up boarding did not look as fast and as good but if you have sandboarded before thats for you the only downside was we had to hike up the dunes after every go with our boards :cry: you will get a crash course on how to do it helmet goggles pads all supplied
its a blast have the dvd to proove it hahah
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm

hi mai

just to answer your question

you dont need hiking boots a pair of runners will do and a pair sandles flipflops for showers would be good you only need runners for hiking up waterberg plateau and doing the walk with sanbushman u may want to wear long trs wailking through bushes also for walking with lion encounter you must wear closed shoes if you decide to do this activity.
and yes you can use credit cards but most optional activities are paid for in cash dollars. you stop in plenty towns where atm are available. if you want to bring cash you can there is a safe in the truck money and passports are locked away and the ceo has the key if you need access to it no problem just ask .rands will b taken in south africa and namibia have a ball
collywobbles

Postby cdibdin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 am

I'm doing Ultimate Africa in late March and am wondering if the weather will make the trip really crappy? I didnt realise until id booked that it was the rainy season.. am pretty devastated. Also how much do I need approximately for lots of activites? Ive allowed for $2000 AUS for the 54 day tour- is this enough? Is the food on the trip usually meat, im notr sure whether to put down for the vegetarian option as I only eat chicken so im thinking its probably wise to do so. Sorry for lots of questions, hope someone can help! thanks, clare
cdibdin

Postby bushkid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 am

Hi Clare,

You'll be travelling such a range of ecozones along your trip that "rainy season" or not won't make any difference to you.

Late March is early autumn in southern Africa. By then, most of the rains would have ended, although you should still have some spectacular thunderstorms floating around. Our rains usually come in the form of short bursts, which clear the area and cool it down. In Africa, we celebrate the rain, and you'll understand why when you're here.

The Vic Falls should be nearing it's peak flow by then, and should be amazing.

Relax and enjoy your trip, and don't stress too much about "right" and "wrong" times to do the trip. All the times are amazing.
bushkid
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Next

Return to Africa and Middle East