15Kg max for Ultimate Africa DAUA in end of Sept

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

15Kg max for Ultimate Africa DAUA in end of Sept

Postby ajacobi » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:47 pm

I am having difficulties with the max weight since I will be climbing Killi after this trip with GAP and need technical gear including a sleeping bag that is close to this weight in itself. I am traveling for 10 months and doing 4 trips with GAP. In those trips I need very technical equipment (diving, hiking, climbing) and will be encountering extremely different weather conditions. Is there a way to move gear around for other trips?

Thanks
Anna
ajacobi
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 15Kg max for Ultimate Africa DAUA in end of Sept

Postby tletter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

ajacobi wrote:I am having difficulties with the max weight

I think that you'll find that the maximum weight restriction is not the issue (within reason). Generally on overland vehicles the issue is the size of luggage since you are only allocated so much space. If your trip is not full then you'll have more space.
ajacobi wrote:I need very technical equipment (diving, hiking, climbing)

I'm not sure what you're bringing or what you need, but for activities such as diving you should find out what the dive operator supplies.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 pm

A 15kg sleeping bag? Seriously? I've never seen a sleeping bag that heavy, even the old military down ones for winter mountain conditions.

However, I can understand the problem you have with the rest of the gear. What you will likely have to do is prestage different equipment for the different trips by mailing gear to yourself for pickup at endpoint hotels.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ajacobi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 am

I have been traveling since March 2011...so I have had friends take things back once in awhile...however shipping costs just as much as the trip. YUK...
ajacobi

Return to Africa and Middle East