egypt and jordan

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

egypt and jordan

Postby wesir101 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi

I am so new at this its unreal. Basically I would like to know what people suggest i take for the Egypt and Jordan trip. I am going on the nov 20 - 7 th dec.

Egypt seems pretty easy to pack and dress for. its gona be warm/hot. But not at it would be in august.

Jordan

Been told it can get pretty nippy. I am going to bring layers and dress for it. But is a thick waterproof jacket a must?

regards,

Danny
wesir101
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: egypt and jordan

Postby wesir101 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Incomplete packing list. Suggestions and comments most welcome :P I want to make this light as possible

Clothes

2 "combat trousers"

NO JEANS!

2 Shorts

2 Shirts

3 T-shirts

5 Underwear

5 Socks

1 pair of merrells Shoes

1 Flip flops

1 silk/cotton liner that can be used inside sleeping bags or alone in hot conidtions. I dont want to bring a sleeping bag. Plus I assume the liner might offer some bug protection?

Winter clothing???? (for Jordan)

???? One thick pullover for cold day + use as a pillow, thermal bottoms and top for night. 1 ultra light rainbreaker.????

Swimshorts.

cheap Sunglasses

sun Hat

Toiletries:

Prescription medication. Inhaler

Sunscreen water proof factor 50

DEET Bug Spray

1 pocket size First Aid Kit:
plus dehyration and anti diarrhea salts

Toothpaste, Toothbrush

Deodorant

razor plus shaving cream

Other

Passport + visa

Airplane tickets

gap documents

Cash, Credit/ATM cards

1 Travel book

reading book

pack of cards

Camera + charger + batteries to buy
wesir101

Postby tletter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

wesir101 wrote:But is a thick waterproof jacket a must?

We went in Dec-Jan and it rained quite hard on Mt. Sinai. The jacket need not be thick but it should be waterproof.

Raining on Mt. Sinai

wesir101 wrote:Winter clothing???? (for Jordan)

It did get cool in late December, especially at night but we did not need what Canadians typically think of as winter clothing, e.g. winter parka, as a windproof rain jacket with a warm sweater was adequate.
wesir101 wrote:Incomplete packing list

Consider bringing the following:
- gloves and a toque for Jordan as whipping around the Wadi Rum in the back of a truck can get cold.
- hiking poles for Mt. Sinai if you use such poles
- underwater camera for use at Nuweiba

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby sauciehall » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm also trying to pack as light as possible. Are there options to rent sleeping bags/hiking poles? Also, at the end of the trip did most people go back to Cairo to catch their return flight or just fly out of Amman? I have a few extra days afterwards and still deciding whether I should spend it in Jordan or go back to Cairo and explore over there.
sauciehall

Postby wesir101 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi,

Well I can't speak for others nor from experience because I have yet to go. But I will be staying in cairo before my tour starts for a few days to see the sights around and in cairo.

Thank you very much for replying both of you.

thanks for the tips! tletter !!
wesir101

Postby tletter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:40 pm

wesir101 wrote:staying in cairo before my tour starts for a few days to see the sights around and in cairo

By way of suggestion: We hired a cab and went to Saqqara to see the step pyramid and Dashur to see the Red and Bent pyramids. This was very interesting and its not included in the trip. The admission fee to Dashur includes entrance into the Red Pyramid which we found much better than entering the Pyramid of Menkaure at Giza. Walking around the Bent Pyramid was also very interesting as it, unlike the Giza pyramids, has a lot of its casing still in place.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter

Postby casey_mai » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:27 am

sauciehall - most people flew straight out of Amman. Not many people stayed to see much of Amman. Apart from Jerash (which i think they now include on the tour?), there isn't too much to see. If the political situation eases in Syria at all, i would HIGHLY recommend spending your last days in Damascus. Incredible city.

wesir101 - waterproof jacket isn't a must.. that being said, there was torrential downpour and flooding in Amman whilst i was there (Jan'11) .. As long as you have one good jacket/fleece and scarf, you should be warm enough for the trip. The coldest place is the top of Mt Sinai and you should be pretty warm anyway from all the walking!
casey_mai

Postby leahlovestravel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey there
Just want to share a thought. I went on this tour last year Nov/Dec. you may see I replied to you in another spot re: Mt. Sinai. But reading your list here, reminded me of something. The coldest I was on this trip were the two nights sleeping outdoors, once on the felucca and once in Wadi Rum in the dessert. Both were cold!! (ok, it wasn't below the freezing point but still) I was so glad I had a sleeping bag. Slept fully dressed in a sleeping bag with a blanket over top for both. Just saying, and I'm a Canadian girl so not a stranger to cold weather.
By the way, everyone in our group flew out of Amman, no one returned to Cairo.
And again, you are going to have the absolute best time on this trip!
Leah
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mucka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:54 pm

i noticed wadi rum is part of the 'egypt and jordan' itinerary.

i realize you are going nov/dec but i did want to interject that i was very surprised how much the temperature dropped in the desert, during the overnight camping, when i was there this summer! the daytime temp was over 30C but by the time we went to sleep, everyone was tucked away in the heavy comforters (supplied by the camp) and my nose was frozen through the night.

have a great time!
mucka

Return to Africa and Middle East