Ethiopia Dicovery: DES

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Ethiopia Dicovery: DES

Postby dmitri1999 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 pm

I am taking the Dec 31st tour.
Have a question for those who've taken this tour:

1.How long did you stay at each reserve? I am particularly interested in Mursi people. Will there we guide who speaks their language if I want to ask them something?

2. How's the pre/post hotel. Is it ok or there are other/better/cheaper options?

3. Did you see/had opportunity to see wild animals(lions,cheetahs,etc)?
dmitri1999
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Ethiopia Dicovery: DES

Postby steven.olson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 am

1. an overnight in Mago National Park to visit with the Mursi. The tour leader is from Jinka so understands some of the tribal languages including Mursi and the local guide translates the rest in Amharic, so yes, you can ask questions to any of the tribe's persons.

2. How's the pre/post hotel. Is it ok or there are other/better/cheaper options? Better options yes, example Churchill and Addis Regency Hotels; cheaper options... only if you want to downgrade.

3. Did you see/had opportunity to see wild animals(lions,cheetahs,etc)? a couple hours on Lake Chamo, Nechisar National Park to see the hippos, crocodiles and water birds. Large wildlife is scarce in the tribal areas from overhunting and loss of habitat but you will see colubus and vervet monkeys, baboon, dik dik, helmeted and vulturine guinea fowl, and a good chance of seeing kudu, gerenuk; then bushbaby and genet if you take evening walks in the Hamer camp with your torch. Numerous bird species can be seen if you are interested in birds.
steven.olson
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby dmitri1999 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info Steven!
dmitri1999

Postby aarone » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:22 am

I did this tour in July, and it was fantastic. You'll have a blast. Minalu (your CEO) is a legend. I'm jealous already thinking about what you'll experience. You'll experience so much.

As for arrival hotel - i'd stick with the Ras. It's not bad at all, and saves the hassle of having to negotiate the Addis streets by taxi. I wouldn't walk between hotels.

Wild animals? We saw the large Nile croc's and hippos, as well as a ton of bird life. But as Steven says (he runs the tour company over there, so he knows!), there's very little in the way of big game as it's already been hunted. It's not like South Africa or Tanzania. Ethiopia has yet to develop the game experience. But it will one day i reckon.
aarone
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby dmitri1999 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 am

Thank you!

Any places you'd recommend visiting before or after the tour?

Also, I hear there's a lava lake somewhere in Ethiopia. I am assuming this tour doesn't go there,but I wonder if it's possible to take a day or a short tour to go see it.
dmitri1999

Return to Africa and Middle East