Vic falls - ?need to go to Zimbabwe + Devil's Pool

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Vic falls - ?need to go to Zimbabwe + Devil's Pool

Postby angelaugh » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:15 pm

We're flying into Livingstone Zambia and leaving from there 2 days later. We were debating if we'll go across the border into Zimbabwe for a day... I was wondering if people thought seeing the falls from the Zimbabwe side was worth the extra cost of a Zim Visa ($75) as well as the extra cost of the multi-entry Zambian visa? Or if we have limited time is exploring the Livingstone side probably better? Is the border usually easy/quick to get across?

Also - has any one done the "Devil's Pool"? Looks so cool but my husband is a bit concerned about safety...
angelaugh
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Vic falls - ?need to go to Zimbabwe + Devil's Pool

Postby kateyb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:39 pm

The falls are much nicer in my opinion on the Zim side. It depends if that extra cost fits into your budget or not. It is very easy to cross the border. I took a cab to the bridge, walked across the bridge and went through customs. Then I walked to the falls from there. after the falls I took a cab into town. You could walk, I just didn't realize that it was as close as I though. I liked the town of Victoria Falls better than Livingstone. the market I found was less less pushy and more relaxed. I ate at a great restaurant-Mama Africa....I thought the extra cost was worth it, but others might see it differently.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:47 pm

Not sure what time of year you're planning on going, but Devil's Pool isn't open all the time. When I went the water level was very high, so it was closed. On the upside, not only did I see Vic Falls, I felt it! :lol:
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 pm

My friend did Devil's Pool last year. She and her boyfriend really enjoyed it and the pics look absolutely crazy! Not so sure if I would have had the courage...
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:56 pm

We didnt go to the Zim side - instead we spent our money on a helicopter ride - which was AMAZING! And yes the Zim side was better for the falls - but we were there in the dry season. I believe the Zam side is pretty stunning in the wet season too - but perhaps someone else can confirm.
So - the following pic is from the air - dry season remember. The left side of the falls is the Zim side as is the area to the right where the road is. The Zam side is from the crevasse top right and onwards - you can see the clifftop path. In the wet season I believe the falls go right the way along so would be stunning from the Zam side too.
So, I would say, if your not doing the flight and its dry season, I would say that you need to cross to the Zim side.
However - In the full wet season - I have heard there is too much spray to see anything much - its not called 'smoke that thunders' for nothing!!! - and I would think you would be fine on the Zam side. Hope this helps.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ballu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Wow, to compare here's what I saw (also from the helicopter) during rainy season...

IMG_5321 by meggroff, on Flickr
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby shawroden » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 am

We were there in November and saw both sides and did the helicopter. The best bit was standing on the Zim side and feeling the spray from the falls. Undoubtedly and unreservedly I would recommend going across to the Zim side if you can. Worth every penny and I don't regret it - even if you are doing the helicopter tour as, whilst you get a great view it doesn't compare to feeling the spray stood right next to it. We took a taxi to the Zambia side and walked across. Its about a 30-40 minute walk but its a nice walk over a huge bridge.
shawroden
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:54 am

angelaugh wrote:We're flying into Livingstone Zambia and leaving from there 2 days later. We were debating if we'll go across the border into Zimbabwe for a day... I was wondering if people thought seeing the falls from the Zimbabwe side was worth the extra cost of a Zim Visa ($75) as well as the extra cost of the multi-entry Zambian visa? Or if we have limited time is exploring the Livingstone side probably better? Is the border usually easy/quick to get across?

Also - has any one done the "Devil's Pool"? Looks so cool but my husband is a bit concerned about safety...

When we were there, we crossed to the Zimbabwe side, and while expensive (for some reason, it's more expensive for Canadians than it is for Americans or Europeans!), we felt it was worth the cost. About 2/3rds of the Falls are only really visible from Zimbabwe, and the park they have there is quite nice (and wasn't nearly as crowded as the Zambian side).

And if nothing else, it's an extra stamp on your passport.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby angelaugh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your tips! Great pics!

Any one know if you can do Devil's Pools in September?

Angela
angelaugh

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm

You can only do Devil's Pool from the Zambian side (maybe Zim side too but not sure) during dry season Sept - Dec when the flow is low.

You have to first get to Livingston Island. To get to Livingstone Island you take a motor boat from the landing at the Royal Livingstone Hotel. On the island you scramble a fair way over rocks and swim through the river. Once you get close to the right spot you have to make a leap of faith, jump in from a rock, and trust you will not get swept over the side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9z_8aw7 ... re=related
DanielBMe

Return to Africa and Middle East