Kenya and Tanzania Overland

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kenya and Tanzania Overland

Postby steve-in-ireland » Wed May 25, 2011 7:40 am

I am very intrerested on going on this trip and I was wondering about the Visas. As the trip starts and finishes in Nairobi would I need to get a Multiple Entry Visa for Nairobi so I could come back to Kenya after the tanzanian leg of the tour.

Many Thanks
steve-in-ireland
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kenya and Tanzania Overland

Postby tletter » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 am

steve-in-ireland wrote:would I need to get a Multiple Entry Visa for Nairobi so I could come back to Kenya after the tanzanian leg of the tour.

Since a Single Entry visa only allows one to enter into Kenya once, we used a Multiple Entry visa for our trip from Kenya to Uganda/Rwanda and returning to Kenya. Some people did just purchased another Single Entry visa when we re-entered Kenya.

In our case two Single Entry visas were about the same cost as a Multiple Entry visa and since we only entered Kenya twice, either option would do.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby woychukb » Wed May 25, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm fairly sure the above advice is actually incorrect. A single-entry will work just fine if you are only going to Tanzania. You can travel freely within Tanzania/Uganda/Kenya/Rwanda/Burundi without needing a new visa. It's only if you leave that region that you would need a multiple entry or another single entry visa. I think Rwanda & Burundi were just added to that group recently so it's possible that when tletter did a trip that included Rwanda they wouldn't have been able to use a single entry.

Here is a link for the Kenyan embassy in the US that mentions this:
https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservices ... nline.aspx
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby tletter » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 pm

woychukb wrote:I'm fairly sure the above advice is actually incorrect.

Yes your website states that a "single entry Visa would allow re-entry to Kenya from any of the following East African Countries (Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda)." Perhaps this is a change but in our case, they wanted another visa to re-enter Kenya.
tletter

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 pm

woychukb wrote:I'm fairly sure the above advice is actually incorrect. A single-entry will work just fine if you are only going to Tanzania. You can travel freely within Tanzania/Uganda/Kenya/Rwanda/Burundi without needing a new visa. It's only if you leave that region that you would need a multiple entry or another single entry visa. I think Rwanda & Burundi were just added to that group recently so it's possible that when tletter did a trip that included Rwanda they wouldn't have been able to use a single entry.

Here is a link for the Kenyan embassy in the US that mentions this:
https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservices ... nline.aspx

I was just in Kenya & Tanzania in February and found this to be the case. I only needed a single entry visa to Kenya and was able to come back in from Tanzania with no issue.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby raj74778 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm

steve-in-ireland wrote:I am very intrerested on going on this trip and I was wondering about the Visas. As the trip starts and finishes in Nairobi would I need to get a Multiple Entry Visa for Nairobi so I could come back to Kenya after the tanzanian leg of the tour.

Many Thanks

Hi adam.
When are you planning to go? I alreday booked my trip on july24th .
Raj
raj74778
User Rank: Weekender

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu May 26, 2011 5:50 pm

raj74778 wrote:Hi adam.
When are you planning to go? I alreday booked my trip on july24th .
Raj

Are you talking to Steve in Ireland? or to me?

I've been to Kenya & Tanzania twice, once in 2007 and once in Feb of this year, and though I hope to return to that part of the world as often as I can, I have no next trip planned.

It's an awesome place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a great adventure. Enjoy your trip.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby jloatgap » Thu May 26, 2011 7:22 pm

@steve-in-Ireland yes your single entry Visa will be fine on this tour.

If you need any assistance booking your trip or have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me @ jenniferl@gap.ca
jloatgap

Postby major » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 am

Steve-in-Ireland...which date did you decide on??
I understand as did others that single entry Visa is sufficient and available for purchase at Nairobi airport and Tanzania border crossing w/o the hassle of going thru a service and extra costs involved. Only question I have for "recent" past travelers to area is: ARE PASSPORT TYPE PHOTOS REQUIRED WHEN PURCHASING VISA IN Kenya/Tanzania??? Can't seem to get a diffinative answer from anyone.
I am going on Sept 10 departure...anyone else on that trip? I can't wait!! Counting the months, then days....
Adam...loved your pictures...what system did you use to build the album?

major/sedonaboots
USA
major
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 am

I didn't need passport photos when getting the Kenya visa at the airport in Nairobi, or for the land crossing into Tanzania.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby svfsvf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:09 am

Hi - my daughter Sophie (14yrs) and I are going to join the Kenya, Tanzania Overland on 24 July. We are so exited :D - we are from Denmark. Any others from DK or Scandinavia?

I have one question. After the safari we will go from Nairobi to Mombasa. We would like to take the train. Does anyone have experience with that, which they can share with us?

Br
Helle
svfsvf

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 am

svfsvf wrote:Hi - my daughter Sophie (14yrs) and I are going to join the Kenya, Tanzania Overland on 24 July. We are so exited :D - we are from Denmark. Any others from DK or Scandinavia?

I have one question. After the safari we will go from Nairobi to Mombasa. We would like to take the train. Does anyone have experience with that, which they can share with us?

Br
Helle

To find your fellow travelers, be sure to check the July Departure Lounge. I you don't see your trip listed, go ahead and add it so the others can find you.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby raj74778 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:05 pm

ballu wrote:I didn't need passport photos when getting the Kenya visa at the airport in Nairobi, or for the land crossing into Tanzania.

Hi There
Is it easy to get Visa in Nairobi airport or they give you heart time. As well what about Tanzania ?
raj74778

Postby major » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm

To any/all going to Kenya/Tanzania,
Just heard first had from lady who returned last week from Wildlife trip...Visa are not a problem at airport in Nairobi or at border crossing into Tanzania. Bit of delay if other flights at similar time, but: NO photos required to be brought along...they take photo and finger prints at the Visa Purchase Desk. You get paperwork to fill out on plane before you land (I did mine already from the embassey website, so hope I am ahead of the game). Single entry for Kenya is sufficient, at least from USA. I go on the Sept 10 DKTO departure. Hoping to meet some of you then....if going earlier - have a blast! All I have heard is positive. At this point, just looking for more input on the migration if anyone has returned recently...say late July. Where is largest concentration of wildebeast at this time?? Also, shoes recommended and cold vs. hot clothing???
Joan aka major/sedonaboots
major

Postby major » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Just returned last week from DKTO-110910 safari.....WHAT A RIDE!!! I loved it. Anyone planning in future...feel free to ask questions. I traveled alone from US-Arizona, had trip from Hell getting there, but once in Nairobi, all went smoothly. Purchased VISA's once "in-country" for both Kenya and Tanzania. Had a marvelous CEO and overall safari experience. Big 5 and MORE!!! Pictures galore! Haven't even had time to review and clean-up files yet, but will post at later date. International group of fellow travelers adds to experience, all were lots of fun...and range of ages, I being senior member but felt very included.
Joan (major/sedonaboots)
major

Return to Africa and Middle East