Tanzania Encompassed - DTTE - feedback

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tanzania Encompassed - DTTE - feedback

Postby worldtraveller » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Good evening I like to hear back from people who have done this trip with GAP or at least parts of it. This one does the Kili trek, serengeti treks, crater and zanzibar

was this trip worth the price, did you or were u satisified with the treks, safaris etc
what did u think of Zanzibar

Were your travel times ok compared to time actually seeing things

for safaris is travel time mixed with your safari ? how does that work out
i will be flying from Canada. DO u think Kilimanajaro airport is best as i dont want to land in Kenya and pay for 2 visas when i am only not staying in kenya.

For price u paid of your trip did u feel it was worth it?
For safaris and treks, was it GAP who did it or third party?

Do you have photos to share?

I might fly a day early before trip
would there be much to do for a day prior of trip in Moshi? or what would u recommend a day before GAP trip starts if i flew into Kili airport
this is for travel in september 2011
for one person
thanks
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Tanzania Encompassed - DTTE - feedback

Postby coqui14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello JR,

I did the same trip last year with GAP and I really enjoyed. After I did my research I decided to fly to Kilimanjaro Airport using KLM directly from AMS. It was a little more expensive than flying to Kenya, but I had to get a second visa, get a hotel for a night and get transportation (in a really bad road) to Tanzania. And of course, many hours of extra traveling.

I decided to arrive a day earlier just to make sure I relax, get better with jetlag in preparation for the hike. Moshi is a small town and there is not much to do there. We walk around the streets and relax.

There are many routes to climb Kilimanjaro. Many claim that the Marangu route is not as scenic as others and also has a lower success rate because is faster than the other routes ( 5 days instead 6-7 days of other routes). The route offers a good variety of ecosystems and I believe the main goal is to reach the summit. I reach the summit at sunrise and it was great.

I been in safari many times, then the animal viewing was not the most important part of my trip. I found the Serengeti and Kgorongoro Crater to be great from the nature point of view. I believe is worth seeing. The campsites are basic but we found good hotels close by if we wanted to have a drink or use a good bathroom.

Zanzibar was my favorite place of the whole trip... really like Stonetown (lots to explore, good restarurants and good hotel). The beach was great and I did some snorkeling and scuba diving. It was nice to relax after a busy trip.

Gap uses local companies to run the trip. I found them to be very professional, always on time and very polite. Do I found the trip if worth the money? That is hard to judge because each of us sees money in different ways. It was for me.

Hoep this will help

J
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby worldtraveller » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 am

Do u remember the names of the local companies that u were with for GAP.
did they use ZARA tours? etc
JR
worldtraveller

Postby woychukb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

I didn't do this specific tour, but GAP does use Zara for the Kilimanjaro climbs. The easy way to tell this is if you are using the Springlands Hotel in Moshi which is run by Zara exclusively for their clients.
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby worldtraveller » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:13 am

cool
JR
worldtraveller

Postby worldtraveller » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 am

For your GAP trip, the time u did in Zanzibar. Was it all on your own or did someone guide you?

What was the resort like GAP USes is it on east side of Island or is it near the town?

How big was your group.

Were u mainly in safari jeeps the whole time for travel?

Tell me about ur transportation

on first day to arrive to Zanzibar, what time did u arrive at resort? how many days u recommend for Zanzibar to get a good feel for it.

Thanks
JR
worldtraveller

Postby coqui14 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi WorldTraveler,

I believe the tour stays 5 days in Zanzibar. I did spend around 8 days there. We flew from Kilimanjaro Airport to Zanzibar. We were pick up from the airport (the luggage of many of our fellow travelers were delay and the company in Zanzibar took care of everything) and took us to the Tembo Hotel right on the beach. We spend couple of nights there on our own. Our group did a lot of things together, including lunches, dinner, walking around town. I did also some exploration on my own. At sunset we used to go as a group to have some drinks at the terrace of one of the local hotels. On day three, we were pick up from our hotel and take us to Kedwa beach. In our way we stopped for a spice tour as a group. In Kedwa we stay at the Sunset Bungalows and all the activities on your own. We did exploration as a group the first day and few of us check the prices of scuba and snorkeling and we did that for couple of days. We used the Spanish Divers. At the end, each one on the group was pick up independently from our hotel and take to the airport or ferry to continue traveling. I was the last one to leave Zanzibar, and my driver took me to the airport and helped me all the way until I went into the restricted areas.

The original group was 10 people; we grew to 13 on the safari portion and back to 10 in Zanzibar. We used mini-buses in the first part of our trip. Two big 7-8 people Jeep/LandCruiser/Land-Rover vehicles with popup roofs for the safari part and regular minibus in Zanzibar.

I like the beach and I enjoy having couple of extra days on my own reading and relaxing before coming home. I stayed 3 extra days on Kendwa Beach. Not everyone like the same. Hope this will help and answer your questions. Good luck
coqui14

Postby worldtraveller » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Good evening I like to continue this forum from last year. I have not done Tanzania yet, plan for 2012. perhaps

for all of you who done the Tanzania Encompassed trip, what was your feelings of it.

I notice the price is like $4000, what u think of that price? too much?

I notice you all go on 7 person buses for safari was this ok? did u find crowded? or were u able to enjoy the wildlife in an authentic atmosphere?

I know some people do the 4 person jeeps?

Was it not too crowded/

What did u think of the Trek up Kilimanjaro? should i bring my own jacket or should i rent?
How cold is it at night when sleeping on trek,

For safari what was the accommodation like ?

What was food like on trip and what did you eat?

Did u have to get any shots?
what u recommend?

How was zanzibar? was the amt of time with GAP there ok? how was accommodation and stone town

what was highlight of your trip?

any suggestions on the trip, if to do different? or anything?
thanks for your time, look forward to your response
JR
worldtraveller

Postby lesliew » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:56 am

I only did the safari portion of this trip, so I can't comment on the other parts, but as for the safari it was wonderful! We had 7 in our vehicle and it wasn't too crowded at all. I was surprised at how comfortable it was. We could all stand up at the same time and easily see the wildlife. The accommodations were very basic, but decent. We had basic pop-up tents, but I was very comfortable. The toilet facilities are very basic, but it's not as bad as a hole in the ground. They actually have a building that you go inside to use the toilet. We ended up seeing every possible animal on the safari. I would definitely recommend it!

As for shots, I got Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis, Polio, MMR, and Tetanus. And of course I took Malaria pills while there.

I will say that some people in my group were on the DTTE tour and had just done the Kilimanjaro climb. They all got horrible altitude sickness (about half of them quit because they were too sick to make it to the summit). They all thought that the 5 day climb was too quick and that they needed another day or two to acclimate to the altitude. Just something to think about.....

lesliew

Postby worldtraveller » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will look into using that trip for 2012.
Any suggestions? on it that you recommend? options
or what to do ?

Did your time you had on Zanzibar
fulfilling?

What was the resort like?
JR
worldtraveller

Postby francine_16 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I did this trip in January 2010. There are postivies and negatives to this trip, but the positives way out do the negatives.The climb for me was amazing. I did not get six. There were six in our group and all of us made it to the top. We all made it at different times and felt different levels of altitude sickness. This part of the trip was worth every penny. The staff on the climb were helpful and because of them we all ate and drank what we needed to in order to succeed.

The safari was great. There was plenty of space on the vans. The food was great. We ate well. We got to see tons of animals.

One of the problems happened on the way to Zanzibar. There was only me and one couple on this part of the trip. We had problems at the airport and GAP was really not helpful. The airline was saying they needed to fly our stuff seperately from us which made no sense and really worried us that we would loose our belongings. The person GAP had take us to the airport was not a strong advocate for us. Eventually we got our stuff on board with us, but it was because we made a huge deal out of this.

I was not too happy that it was just me and one couple I wish GAP would have told me this in advance when I asked. I ended up having way too much time on the beach on my own.

AS for sarriving in MOshi early I was glad to have a couple days to sit at the hotel pool befor doing the climb.
francine_16

Postby worldtraveller » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks all for feedback

For the Tanzania Encompassed trip.

For safari portion, did u find the length of days u spent on safari was enough? were u fulfilled?

What was the hotel like in Zanzibar? is stone town very scenic?

What was the best thing you ate on this trip

I may have an extra day at the beginning arrive a day early,

Is the hotel G Adventures stay at relaxing and good to wait till the trek?

What was the telephone system like in Tanzania?

If i wanted to make international call back to Canada, what are the options?

Should i get Tanzania money prior to going or will i be ok to find ATMS there?

Do u have to spend much money during trip, or is most things already included?

for visa, best to get prior to arrival in Tanzania,?

For zanzibar, how many days you recommend for Zanzibar? as i was thinking of extending my time there at end or somewhere, what could one do for 5 days in Zanzibar?
thanks
JR
worldtraveller

Postby worldtraveller » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Just curious how does the luggage situation with this trip work, do you bring all your luggage with you on the trip? thanks

do they store it in hotel during the trek? or does it all come with u, carried by the porters? thanks
JR
worldtraveller

Postby lesliew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:24 pm

As for the safari portion, you can leave as much luggage as you want at the hotel. They have a very secure room that they will lock it in while you are out on safari. You are allowed to take one bag plus a day pack on the safari. They pack your bag in the back of the truck and you carry your day pack with you.

lesliew

Postby worldtraveller » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Sounds , good so better off leaving my backpack in the truck then?
JR
worldtraveller

Next

Return to Africa and Middle East