Shoes in Uganda

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Shoes in Uganda

Postby rrjz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks Adam for the advice. I don't think I would have chanced it by buying them over there but thought I should ask.
Do you have any advice on what type of shoes to take? Without spending a fortune. I have read that there is no need to buy anything expensive. What did you take with you when you went?

On a side note the pictures you have taken are awesome. I can't wait to get there and take some in person!
rrjz
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:29 pm

rrjz wrote:Thanks Adam for the advice. I don't think I would have chanced it by buying them over there but thought I should ask.
Do you have any advice on what type of shoes to take? Without spending a fortune. I have read that there is no need to buy anything expensive. What did you take with you when you went?

On a side note the pictures you have taken are awesome. I can't wait to get there and take some in person!

Thanks very much!

As I said, I haven't been gorilla trekking in Uganda yet, but generally, I've just found a pair of comfortable Merrells go a long way with any kind of adventure travel.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby nikimarcotte » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm

I had bought waterproof shoes for gorilla trek, unfortunately for me, they went missing from my luggage while "lost" with airlines....so i had to buy shoes enroute, can't recommend it, but i did just buy running shoes from a "Bata" store in Nakuru...strangely, these stores are everywhere in africa...they had decent grip on the bottom which was good. the gorilla trek can be steep and a bit slippery mud on the paths. though i am glad i ended up with non-waterproof shoes, we had to walk on sinking logs across a body of water where the water actually came over our shoes or hiking boot...the people with waterproof shoes squished the whole rest of the way because the water couldn't get out..mine just drained out the side nicely:) not all groups have to hike this far, so other groupls never even got near water. so it all turned out in the end for me, but definitely was an effort on behalf of my guide to get us somewhere that had a shoe store so i could buy closed toed shoes since i was only left with my sport sandals that i had worn on the plane, and had only a couple of days travel before the gorilla trek to find some. there are lots of nasty stinging nettles in the forest especially where you get near the gorillas, the path was decent most of the way until you are near the gorillas and head off-trail.
nikimarcotte

Postby markmol » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Niki,

There is a good lesson for everyone, if any part of the trip involves hiking or treking wear the shoes or boots you are going to use on the plane, also pack spare socks & underwear in your carry on bags just in case your luggage is lost
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby rrjz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks Niki & Mark for the advice. I am headed out this weekend to pick a pair of shoes up so I can get them broken in before the trek in January. Thanks to your advice I am going to make sure I wear them on the plane. :)
rrjz

Postby darlinggirl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am

I've been debating about this same thing. I'm doing the gorilla trek in late January and had almost been sold on $150 goretex runners from MEC...but now I think I'll probably grab some cheap ($20) runners from walmart or similar and just deal with it when they are wet and if they get totally trashed/muddy I won't be too heartbroken to leave them behind.
darlinggirl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby rrjz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I think that is what I will do too. Cheap works for me and like you said if they get trashed they get trashed.

rrjz

Previous

Return to Africa and Middle East