Shoes in Uganda

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Shoes in Uganda

Postby mattt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I will shortly be going on the Uganda and Kenya Gorilla adventure and am trying to decide what shoes to take. The trip details say that we should bring waterproof walking shoes or boots but every outdoor shop that I go into says that waterproof shoes are a bad idea in a hot and humid climate. All the waterproof shoes that I have seen have a goretex lining and apparently this not very breathable at all and, in a humid climate, tends to draw moisture into the shoes rather than keep it out (so I am told).

I was thinking of bringing a pair of breathable, non-waterproof, cross terrain trainers. Or is this a bad idea and should I bring waterproof shoes? (I didn't want to bring hiking boots as these would definitely be too warm for most of the trip).
(I will also be bringing a pair of sports sandals).

Thanks!
mattt
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Shoes in Uganda

Postby woychukb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Personally I wore my sandals for the entire tour other than the gorilla trek. For that I wore hiking boots, but you could certainly get by with trainers. You may need to walk for 5 hours in them up & down muddy hills so waterproof wouldn't hurt, but I don't think I'd go out and buy shoes specifically for the hike. Just be aware that your shoes may end up wet & muddy.
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby mattt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for the advice
mattt

Postby ballu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Unfortunately I didn't do the gorilla trek, but I imagine depending on time of year, you could run into some muddy/slippery conditions.

I was in Uganda during a dry time of year and my shoes almost 2-years later my shoes are still stained red from the red dirt....so I would suggest buying a couple hundred dollar pair of shoes might not be a great idea as they may get pretty messy during the trek.

Chances are you'll wear sandals most of the rest of the time.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm

mattt wrote:All the waterproof shoes that I have seen have a goretex lining and apparently this not very breathable at all and, in a humid climate, tends to draw moisture into the shoes rather than keep it out (so I am told).

EH??
Isn't the whole point of Goretex is that it is breathable????? Im puzzled by what you've been told.

But regardless of this - I WOULD recommend waterproof hiking boots/shoes for Uganda as it is higher than surrounding countries so it doesnt usually get too hot, nor is it particularly humid, its green and beautiful - but this is because its WET!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby dixet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I have the same experience as woychukb: I wore sandals the whole trip and used hiking boots (leather, not gore tex) on the tougher hikes like the gorilla trek.

Uganda is definitely moist, so waterproof shoes are advisable with good profile. I would not recommend using sandals on the gorilla trek because of the terrain - some of the time you won't be walking on paths, but making your way through dense bushes with all kinds of loose stuff on the ground. If you use hiking boots make sure you have used them enough before the trip, so you can walk comfortably on them!
dixet

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:04 am

i am also having a dilemma with this shoes for gorilla trek thing....i have never worn hiking shoes for ANYTHING anywhere in the world yet...i have climbed volcanoes in my sport sandals....just wondering if there is something that can actually injure me if i wear socks in sandals? i don't care if they get muddy and wet all day, and they have better grip than most shoes, can always throw out the socks after, and the sport sandals just wash out. i don't want to even TAKE closed shoes along as they take up too much space for something i will only wear once in a 3 month trip. anybody ever gone on the gorilla trek and NOT worn the recommended footwear or seen somebody else do it?
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kateyb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 am

Gore tex is very breathable. you pay for what you get. However, I have done a few adventure races where you spend many hours trekking through swamp and I much prefer a non Gore tex lining trail runner. it will dry out quicker and when your shoes get soaked, the water will drain out quicker. These are great shoes for that kind of trekking:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632286&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302759875
kateyb

Postby omarmorales » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:15 am

Hi,

If you need some ankle support (carrying a heavy load, rocky terrain) you might want boots, check out the Rocklite 400 GTX by http://www.inov-8.com these are 14 ounces, pretty light for boots. I have been a Merrell wearer for years now, the Chameleon3 Ventilator Mid GORE-TEX, might do it for you. http://www.merrell.com

Having said that, I am not a light person, and I stopped using boots even when it's poring. If I know whatever I am wearing is going to dry over night (say in hot conditions) I wear my trusty Merrell Moab Ventilators.

Another combo might be Regular Boots or hiking shoes and a water proof socks like SealSkinz or something.

If the terrain is uber slippery, not slick rock slippery, but wet leaves slippery take the sole into account as well.

Hope this helps someone out.
omarmorales

Postby woychukb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:23 am

nikimarcotte wrote:just wondering if there is something that can actually injure me if i wear socks in sandals?

I do remember there being a lot of trees with large, sharp thorns that I certainly wouldn't want to step on in sandals. It was painful enough grabbing them when trying to maintain balance. There were also a bunch of ants, spiders, etc. crawling around in the undergrowth and you'll probably be standing still for most of the hour after you reach the gorillas. I don't know if anything has dangerous or painful bites but I would kind of expect that they do.
woychukb

Postby silverback » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 am

On our Gorilla trek, the guides & guards wore gum-boots. We wore leather hiking boots, with goretex lining. No problems.
Some of the group worn sandshoe/trainer type shoes that got very wet.
As has been mentioned there are a lot of insects, particularly ants, & yes they do bite & sting!
I wore my boots on my whole trip through Sth Africa, Botswana, Zambia, & Uganda, I loved not having to worry about what I stepped on. Africa is a thorny continent.
silverback

Postby nikimarcotte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm

well, i wanted something that takes up minimal space, so i opted for waterproof trainers....only time will tell if they were necessary :P
nikimarcotte

Postby hootie2s » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm

While it wasnt Uganda, when I hiked the Kokoda Track in P.N.G I wore a pair of Salomon 3D Fastpacker GTX, and they were great considering we went right before the wet season and it was hot and humid and pretty nasty underfoot and these shoes were amazing. The are a Goretex shoe so I am unsure what shops are on about.
hootie2s
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby rrjz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi - I have read that just a good pair of waterproof shoes will do just fine and not to go out an buy anything expensive. With my trip fast approaching in January I am second guessing what I should do about shoes. I really don't care what shape the shoes come out of the hike if I don't pay a ton of money for them. Would it make sense to pick up a pair of boots in Uganda or should I buy them before I leave for the trip? I am also considering just buying a pair rubber boots with a good tread. I figure they are tall enough to keep the bugs out of boots but not sure if how breathable they would be. January is supposed to be a drier time do I need to worry about waterproof?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

rrjz

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm

rrjz wrote:Hi - I have read that just a good pair of waterproof shoes will do just fine and not to go out an buy anything expensive. With my trip fast approaching in January I am second guessing what I should do about shoes. I really don't care what shape the shoes come out of the hike if I don't pay a ton of money for them. Would it make sense to pick up a pair of boots in Uganda or should I buy them before I leave for the trip? I am also considering just buying a pair rubber boots with a good tread. I figure they are tall enough to keep the bugs out of boots but not sure if how breathable they would be. January is supposed to be a drier time do I need to worry about waterproof?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

I haven't yet been to Uganda (not for a few months anyhow), but having been a few places in Africa, I don't think I'd leave your shoe-shopping until after you get there. The markets you're most likely to visit along the road don't sell a lot of clothing and footwear.

In the larger centers, there are still places you could go to find these things, but you likely won't have a chance once you join a tour. Even if you go to a shopping centre, what you do find may be cheap knock-offs and might not have the quality you're likely to expect of your shoes.

I definitely suggest bringing any necessities with you as opposed to picking them up there.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Next

Return to Africa and Middle East