Just came back from Egypt/Jordan!

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Just came back from Egypt/Jordan!

Postby ogallie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Anyone have clarification on tourist visas for entry to Egypt? I'm Canadian and have been told you can get it at the airport - is this easy and efficient? Recommend getting it in advance? Any help is greatly appreciated! :?
ogallie
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Fieter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 am

It's no hassle to get it at the airport, you get it at the exchange office (and they are usually outside of their office screaming 'visaaaaaaaaa'??? ;-) ).

Sophie
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby zerochalk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 am

Hi,

I have a trip next week to Egypt. Just wondering if it is necessary to bring a sleeping bag or can I just bring a sleeping bag liner?

Thanks,
Kevin
zerochalk

Postby Fieter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 am

I went more then a month ago and was okay with just the liner... and the provided blankets on the felucca and in the desert... you can usually get plenty of those, so... It was definitely okay beginning of october...
HAVE FUN!!!!

Sophie
Fieter

Postby floridaellen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 pm

I too just came back from DPJA. Spent 6 days at the Cosmopolitan. Which as a single woman I really enjoyed - friendly staff, great location, safe to walk the streets even after dark (many shoppers, strollers, vendors).

The link above JaliscoJudy posted has the correct location of the Cosmopolitan (Loney Planet also has good map with correct location.) If you are having trouble getting there in a cab, it should help that it is just two short blocks from Talat Harb, a well known main intersection of downtown streets.

I arrived at midday, and took the downtown bus (#356) from the airport to the end at the downtown bus terminal, which is right by the Nile and the Egyptian museum. From there, I did the 10 - 15 minute walk to the Cosmopolitan. It was surprisingly easy and cheap. Comfortable in that I had studied the maps, and felt in control and that the adventure had begun. I did not learn the Egyptian numerals for 356 though, which would have helped!

If you are spending extra time in Cairo, the Cairo pop up map (Amazon.com) was really useful.

Most of our group did the hot air balloon ride over Luxor. Nice.

ellen
floridaellen
User Rank: Traveller

Postby gypsyjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi Sophie,

My friend and I are going on this tour in february and I have a couple of questions I hope you can give your insight on.....

1-On the Felucca; is the support boat around all the time (my friend has the bladder of a small child, lol) Did you use the shower on it?

2-What kind of luggage did you bring? I have a regular sized suitcase but I was thinking of bringing a wheeled duffel bag.

3-I was just going to bring a paid of walking sport sandals (open toes) and a pair of running shoes for walking into Petra and Mt.Sinai. I don't have any hiking shoes, do you think this will be ok?

4-Clothing; We are just packing yoga capris and trying to find light t-shirts with covered shoulders. Are sleeveless tops acceptable anywhere? What about bermuda lenght shorts? And were there any nights that you dressed up more? We are wondering if we should bring something dressy?

5- Can you give an average per meal cost (so we can make a budget)?

Thank you so much for your comments!

Jen
gypsyjen

Postby Fieter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 am

Hi Jen!!!

Really jealous of your trip still to come!
1. the support boat is not always around... but it is at night! We didn't use the shower...
2. I brought a regular sized suitcase which I could even strap on my back, but I never had to do that
3. I think anything you are comfortable in, is okay... I was glad I brought my hiking boots, but there was a girl in our group who did it all in her most comfortable shoes (closed though)
4. In Egypt you'll best be wearing long trousers, bermuda shorts are okay in most places in Jordan. We didn't dress up I think.. well, I didn't take anything fancy and didn't miss it... the dressing up part for the last night was just taking a non-smelling thing out of the suitcase!! ;-)
5. you can eat at any budget, really hard to say... fallafels are really cheap (I think like 1 euro in Egypt or something)... It is good to know though that Jordan is more expensive than Egypt...
Have fun!!!

Sophie
Fieter

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Fieter wrote:
Some practical stuff:

- there was someone in our group who brought sweets and pens for the kids... I think we all wished we had, that was really such a good idea...

This is soooo not a good idea - PLEASE DONT - see thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10999

......still spreading the word :twisted:
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Fieter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 am

GOOD POINT!!! Never thought of it that way, sorry... hm...I'll start spreading the word as well!!!
Fieter

Postby brooklyn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:51 am

Hi, Jen. I went on this tour last year (Dec 2012 - Jan 2011) and it was fantastic! I see someone else answered your questions but I figured I'd pipe in.

Our support boat WAS parked right near us the entire night. There were a few feluccas (from our group and from some other groups) all tethered to one, large support boat. At night, a tarp is thrown over the felucca to form a sort of tent. Once you're in there, you're really nestled, though. In other words, it would be very difficult for your friend to get into and out of the felucca multiple times throughout the night without significantly disturbing the other 8 or so travelers. (The felucca experience was one of my favorite parts of the trip!)

Something else to note, I saw you mentioned bringing yoga pants. I would suggest more loose-fitting clothes. Anything that's clingy or tight is going to draw unwanted attention. Capri length is fine, but I'd suggest more cargo-style or jeans, etc. so the pants aren't tight. I would not suggest any shorts or tank tops. No one on our group wore shorts or tank tops and we did not really see other tourists dressed that way, either. (No need to dress up -- ever.)

And on the shoes, I'd say if you have sports sandals and sneakers that are comfortable then you should stick with those. Mt. Sinai and Petra are rocky (obviously), but you should be okay in the sneakers.

Have an amazing trip!

gypsyjen wrote:Hi Sophie,

My friend and I are going on this tour in february and I have a couple of questions I hope you can give your insight on.....

1-On the Felucca; is the support boat around all the time (my friend has the bladder of a small child, lol) Did you use the shower on it?

2-What kind of luggage did you bring? I have a regular sized suitcase but I was thinking of bringing a wheeled duffel bag.

3-I was just going to bring a paid of walking sport sandals (open toes) and a pair of running shoes for walking into Petra and Mt.Sinai. I don't have any hiking shoes, do you think this will be ok?

4-Clothing; We are just packing yoga capris and trying to find light t-shirts with covered shoulders. Are sleeveless tops acceptable anywhere? What about bermuda lenght shorts? And were there any nights that you dressed up more? We are wondering if we should bring something dressy?

5- Can you give an average per meal cost (so we can make a budget)?

Thank you so much for your comments!

Jen
brooklyn

Previous

Return to Africa and Middle East