Just came back from Egypt/Jordan!

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Just came back from Egypt/Jordan!

Postby Fieter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 am

And had a great time/vacation/sightseeing trip!
The amazing sites we have seen are undescribable! If anyone has any questions, just ask me, I'll be happy to answer... but don't worry, everything is very well organised and if the majority wants something different (we wanted a 'late' - 8am - breakfast at one time), democracy rules! ;-)
But try and stick to whatever your tour leader suggests, they just know best how and when to organise things...

Some practical stuff:
- do take some hiking shoes, I only brought mine at the last moment ('cause I hate them), but I was glad I did... for Mt Sinai and Petra anyway...
- I didn't miss a sleeping bag, a few on our tour had one, but you also get blankets (in Wadi Rum and on the felucca). I did bring a sheetliner, and that was comfortable knowing it was mine and thus clean... 8) . Mind you, I was there with 40 degrees celcius, so it might vary depending on the season
- there was someone in our group who brought sweets and pens for the kids... I think we all wished we had, that was really such a good idea...
- I didn't bring shorts and regretted it (and ended up just cutting my pants short)... in some places in Egypt and most places in Jordan it's no problem.. of course not the reaaaaaally short short ones..

And for everyone that still has the trip ahead: have fun, I'm so jealous...
and if you have any more questions, just ask!

Sophie
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Just came back from Egypt/Jordan!

Postby rohit.ks.vyas@gmail.com » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:32 pm

sophie,
thanks for the info. i am leaving on nov 17th for egypt/jordan. I have a question. When do we have to pay for tours? Do they take credit cards? Thanks.
Rowheat
rohit.ks.vyas@gmail.com
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby tletter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Sophie,

Some questions for you:

1. What optional activities do you recommend?

2. Did you have the opportunity for a balloon flight at Luxor?

3. Did you get to Dahshur, Saqqara and Memphis? If so how?

Thanks,

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Fieter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 am

hi there!

You pay cash for the (extra) tours, but the payment is flexible, you get the time to go to an atm or exchange office. You can also just ask the leader to have the driver stop at an atm or bank.
The extra tours I did (mostly the whole group took them) were Abu Simbel (a MUST do), an extra long (4 hours) jeep ride in Wadi Rum (which I can only recommend), some of our group also went for Petra by night which was apparantly really beautifull, but MAYBE a bit tiring of walking all the way up there again after walking in the Petra site for about 9 hours during the day (in my humble opinion). We also went to little Petra and took a Turkish (yes, in Jordan) bath in Petra. Really relaxing!!! At the dead sea we took the buffet lunch which was really nice and took a mud bath. The mud bath was only 3 JOD and although there are places in the sea where you can just pick up the mud, the mud you pay for is black and makes really nice pictures! ;-) just for the fun of it alone it's worth its money!! In Amman we also went to the roman theatre and Jerash (again, a must see!).

We weren't offered a balloon ride, but I'm sure if you want to do it and ask about it, you'll be given all the information. The 3 other places you asked I didn't go to... sorry...

Hope this helped a bit... just ask away...

Sophie
Fieter

Postby casey_mai » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 am

Hey, thanks for the tips! I'm doing a trip on Jan 13th! Can't wait.
Qs: What time did you check in to the cosmopolitan (?) hotel in Cairo? Just wondering how early you can.. can't seem to find an email/website for the hotel - i arrive at 4am!
Also, did the guide give you an orientation tour of Amman at all? Like on the afternoon that you arrive there or the morning the tour finishes?
Casey
casey_mai

Postby Fieter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Casey,

There are apparantly 3 (or more) Cosmopolitan hotels in Cairo, so I think it's safer to contact GAP and see if they can arrange an early check-in for you... I arrived at 5pm, so I don't know... you will probably have to pay extra. Sometimes we got in before noon at the hotels, but I guess that depends on availability... in Luxor it was the other way around, almost all of us paid extra to keep our room untill 6pm (nighttrain back to Cairo)... just to be able to sit in the AC... :oops:

On Amman, our guide showed us around a bit (on the bus), but it is a really big city, so you might need to use cabs to go places... McD was just around the corner from our hotel, but apparantly the change hotels every now and then in Amman, so...

Enjoy!!!!
Sophie
Fieter

Postby harald.mochar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Sophie,

I will do the "Absolute Egypt" trip starting on 12. November in Cairo at the hotel Cosmopolitan. After searching the internet maps I could find 5 cosmopolitan hotels with the same adress like mentioned from Gap (1, Ibn Tahlab Street, Off Kaser El Nile Street ). 2 of them are near Kaser El Nile Street.
Can you tell me where is the right location of this hotel?

Thank you very much

Harald
harald.mochar

Postby brooklyn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Sophie -- At the Dead Sea, is it safe to bring your camera with you? I really want to take the pics of being covered in the mud, but for the life of me I can't imagine where the camera will be safely stored while I'm floating in the sea. (I'll be traveling solo.) Also, for Mt. Sinai, did you do the full hike or did you opt to ride the donkey halfway up? I assumed I'd take the donkey option but am curious which you did and how you liked it.
brooklyn
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ayw523 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I came here looking for info on Morocco (I leave in 3 weeks!) & saw this topic... it brought back such great memories. I did the same tour in 2006.

Sophie, I agree with you, Abu Simbel is a must. The 4am wake up call was really tough but so worth it. Highlight of my trip.

Thomas, we also weren't given an opportunity for a hot air balloon ride in Luxor. We had to settle for watching the balloons during our ferry ride! However, a small group of us did visit Dahshur & Saqqara during our free day back in Cairo. Our tour guide took care of everything - he arranged for our car & driver & told us what to see. Imo, the old pyramids we saw on this excursion were much more interesting than the "great" ones at Giza. If you want to venture into one of the pyramids, I recommend the Red Pyramid over whichever one is open now at Giza. It's cheaper & actually has stuff to see.

Brooklyn, I didn't bring my camera with me at the Dead Sea but there were others in my group who did. The beach is pretty private and with other people from the tour around, you can just leave your camera with your other stuff on one of the chairs. Or you can leave it with someone cuz not everyone wants to go in the water. As for Mt Sinai, all of us walked up the donkey path.

Enjoy your trip!

Anna
ayw523

Postby Fieter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 am

Harald,
Based on the picture I see, it's this one: http://maps.google.be/maps/place?hl=nl& ... uvernement),+Egypte&cid=16341903959236066405
I don't know if this helps...

Dead sea: I brought my camera and as Anna said, there are not too many people around and we took turns in who would be staying with the camera's (there are plenty of chairs and benches you can put them on - the rest of your stuff you can leave in lockers) You'll want to take pictures... also: take a book, so you can take a picture of you floating and reading... :) .
On Mt Sinai, we all complained about the climb, but I'm 100% sure that we would all do it again right now! We took the donkey path as well but walked it, only one of the group took a camel to go up... (I think the donkeys were in Petra actually... maybe in Sinai as well, just don't remember..). You still have to take the 700 stairs yourself though, and that was the hardest part... but SO worth it...!!!

Anna, any questions on Morocco left? I went on the 'Moroccon highlights trip' last year!! Great trip!

Sophie
Fieter

Postby harald.mochar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:11 am

Hi Sophie,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the link doesn´t work.
But I will certainly be able to find the hotel like all others before.

Best wishes
Harald
harald.mochar

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:36 pm

harald.mochar wrote:Hi Sophie,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the link doesn´t work.
But I will certainly be able to find the hotel like all others before.

Best wishes
Harald

Try this: http://maps.google.be/maps/place?hl=nl&%20...%20uvernement%29,+Egypte&cid=16341903959236066405
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby hopeygal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:55 am

HI Sophie and alll
which trip did u join for Jordan and Egypt? I have been searching online and all I seen
are egypt or Jordan tour instead of the combination!
I really want to visit Petra!

I am looking at the budget tour! egypt on a shoestring! has anyone been to a shoestring tour before?
and are all prices tax included?
should I exchange the money in canada first into EGypt dollars? or to usd first?
I know these are basic questions, but please do help out if you can!

thanks a lot

I am a poor student looking for EGypt in my xmas break!

best regard!
hopeygal

Postby gondaluer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Hopeygal,

The GAP tour including Egypt and Jordan is code DPJA, and called Egypt and Jordan Adventure. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "on a shoestring," but this tour is very inexpensive for what it offers. Be aware that none of the site entrance fees are included though, and participating in all of the activities can add $500.00+ (USD) to the cost.

There are lots of available spaces on the tour leaving 09 December. You should join us!

Best Regards,

Connie
gondaluer
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Fieter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 am

hej hopeygall,

you can just exchange money on arrival in Caïro. You have to buy a visa at the exchange office anyway, so...

happy travels!
Sophie
Fieter

Next

Return to Africa and Middle East